Help! Should I drop out?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Help! Should I drop out?

Postby KevinP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:44 pm

I hope I can offer a fresh perspective. I'm a T6 dropout whose UG background is Comp. Sci./Mathematics. The debt complicates things, but if you hate law (I did too), dropping out is TCR. I would look up some Comp Sci/Engineering courses and see if those really interest you.

If CS/Engineering does interest you, here's my take on it:

The Good:
In terms of CS/Math jobs: I haven't had any problem finding a job. I've had job offers literally a week after submitting my resume. I might not be representative since I graduated top 10% from a top comp. sci. school, but a lot of my friends are making a decent living (a noticeable chunk are making over 100k at huge tech companies).

In terms of CS/Math work: I work a 9-5 hour shift, love my job, and make between 60-70k/year. I could be making more, but I prefer only working 40 hours a week.

The Bad:
It's a field for the young. Once you're older, you have to either move into middle management or find something else.

Layoffs are pretty common, even in good times.

The skillset you develop at a particular company tends to become obsolete rather quickly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Help! Should I drop out?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 pm

KevinP wrote:I hope I can offer a fresh perspective. I'm a T6 dropout whose UG background is Comp. Sci./Mathematics. The debt complicates things, but if you hate law (I did too), dropping out is TCR. I would look up some Comp Sci/Engineering courses and see if those really interest you.

If CS/Engineering does interest you, here's my take on it:

The Good:
In terms of CS/Math jobs: I haven't had any problem finding a job. I've had job offers literally a week after submitting my resume. I might not be representative since I graduated top 10% from a top comp. sci. school, but a lot of my friends are making a decent living (a noticeable chunk are making over 100k at huge tech companies).

In terms of CS/Math work: I work a 9-5 hour shift, love my job, and make between 60-70k/year. I could be making more, but I prefer only working 40 hours a week. This income is way more than enough for me to spend it however I want (I don't have educational debt, I'm not married--gf works, no kids, and I live with my brother so I don't pay rent).

The Bad:
It's a field for the young. Once you're older, you have to either move into middle management or find something else.

Layoffs are pretty common, even in good times.

The skillset you develop at a particular company tends to become obsolete rather quickly.


Thanks man, really helpful. What do you think would be the best route? Going for a masters immediately or just doing a second bachelors?

I've always wanted to get to the west coast, would it make sense to just move out there and try to get in on the action anywhere there? Or is it over-saturated and/or insular?

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Help! Should I drop out?

Postby KevinP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks man, really helpful. What do you think would be the best route? Going for a masters immediately or just doing a second bachelors?

I haven't looked too deeply into CS masters, so I'm not entirely sure. If all you care about is getting a job, I would go with whichever option is cheaper.

Anonymous User wrote:I've always wanted to get to the west coast, would it make sense to just move out there and try to get in on the action anywhere there? Or is it over-saturated and/or insular?


Can't speak for Cali, but for the Pacific Northwest (PNW), it depends. A lot of companies prefer locals, but it's hardly what I would call insular (I kind of wish it was so it would stop the shitty Cali drivers from coming here). For the PNW, I wouldn't worry about finding a job because of over-saturation. Biggest thing is do well in school and absolutely do internships/get some work experience before graduation. Very few companies will touch you without at least some experience.

b33eazy
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Help! Should I drop out?

Postby b33eazy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Consider getting a masters in stats.. Statistians have low unemployment rates and require very few preq; as a matter of fact, my school only requires Calc 1 and 2 to get in.. But there are also other programs of the like, like Penn State.

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees- ... s/overview

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/math/statisticians.htm

avb87
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Re: Help! Should I drop out?

Postby avb87 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:12 pm

I agree with the poster above who recommended finishing out the semester and taking a leave of absence. I know it might seem miserable since it you've basically already decided to drop out, but it's only 2 more months at this point and will save you lots of money/headaches in the future if you change your mind again. Maybe you just need some time out in the real world to figure out what you want to do. I assume you went straight through undergrad?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Help! Should I drop out?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 pm

avb87 wrote:I agree with the poster above who recommended finishing out the semester and taking a leave of absence. I know it might seem miserable since it you've basically already decided to drop out, but it's only 2 more months at this point and will save you lots of money/headaches in the future if you change your mind again. Maybe you just need some time out in the real world to figure out what you want to do. I assume you went straight through undergrad?


Yeah pretty much straight through - just a 8 month break to work at a law firm (which I hated and everyone told me not to do law school, and yet I went anyway. Actually didn't really want to at the last minute but my family kept pushing me into law school so I went).

Wouldn't it be better to take the leave now though? Because then I'd have another shot at OCI if I come back, I believe. And I *might* be able to try the writing comp next time around (no journal, didn't finish writing comp). I have no idea if the school will let me try the writing comp a second time around though. But it would make sense that they would if most schools let returning-from-LOA students re-do OCI.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Help! Should I drop out?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks man, really helpful. What do you think would be the best route? Going for a masters immediately or just doing a second bachelors?

I've always wanted to get to the west coast, would it make sense to just move out there and try to get in on the action anywhere there? Or is it over-saturated and/or insular?


I still get recruiter calls/emails trying to get me to go out west and take assignment/jobs. I say about once or twice a month. Big companies generally don't care where you are from.

KevinP is right on the availability of jobs. If I decided to drop out today, I would literally have 2-3 jobs to choose from next Monday. You can make up toward low 100's, but then you are looking at middle management. I was getting to that point before coming to law school, and that's why I came to law school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Help! Should I drop out?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks man, really helpful. What do you think would be the best route? Going for a masters immediately or just doing a second bachelors?

I've always wanted to get to the west coast, would it make sense to just move out there and try to get in on the action anywhere there? Or is it over-saturated and/or insular?


I still get recruiter calls/emails trying to get me to go out west and take assignment/jobs. I say about once or twice a month. Big companies generally don't care where you are from.

KevinP is right on the availability of jobs. If I decided to drop out today, I would literally have 2-3 jobs to choose from next Monday. You can make up toward low 100's, but then you are looking at middle management. I was getting to that point before coming to law school, and that's why I came to law school.


Just to clarify, are you guys talking about comp sci or engineering? I think I read engineers generally have much better prospects right?

And the part about being forced out doesn't really bother me much. I've always wanted to start a business so I might try to start some kind of tech business if that's a viable option. Or if not, maybe middle management -> B school -> ???.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Help! Should I drop out?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just to clarify, are you guys talking about comp sci or engineering? I think I read engineers generally have much better prospects right?

And the part about being forced out doesn't really bother me much. I've always wanted to start a business so I might try to start some kind of tech business if that's a viable option. Or if not, maybe middle management -> B school -> ???.


I am talk about software. HW/infrastructure/network type of work is a bit tougher. Don't know about actual engineering.

Read my first response in the thread, that was my suggestion based on my complete career in software.

As for start up - need capital and luck. Both are hard to come by. A lot of people have great ideas, only very few succeed. Capital/resources + luck.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.