publishing in a legal field in which i have no interest Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

publishing in a legal field in which i have no interest

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 pm

so... as it would turn out... i have a paper about a very specific area of law in which i thought i would be practicing, but quickly realized that i disliked. it's highly specific (think tax, ip, environmental, that kind of thing). i now have an offer to publish from a journal in that specific area. what should i do with it?? should i accept, put it on my resume and accept that people might pigeonhole me in the future? should i accept and leave it off my resume?

TooOld4This

Silver

Re: publishing in a legal field in which i have no interest

Post by TooOld4This » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 pm

An article you published while a student has about a 0% chance of pigeonholing you.

Anonymous User

Re: publishing in a legal field in which i have no interest

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Future interviewers who don't practice that area of law may ask you if you have a particular interest in that area of law and you might have to give an answer that says "no, not really." But it is unlikely to close off avenues that you would otherwise have. Don't overthink this and leave it off your resume-- the boost from publishing more than makes up for whatever "pigeonhole" problems it might cause.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”