Getting BigLaw after Striking Out

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting BigLaw after Striking Out

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:47 pm

If mass mailing does not work out, does anyone have any ideas on how to better position yourself for big law. Above median grades at T-14, but not top 1/4 or something like that that could place you within article III clerkship.

Are there any non-SA summer jobs that give you a better chance for 3lolci?
Any clerkships that are less competitive that can be used as spring boards to that coveted biglaw job, or to something else that down the road leads to biglaw?
Will specialization (tons of tax classes or anything along those lines) help?
Any strategies/things that we should do in the next two years of law school?

LawIdiot86

Re: Getting BigLaw after Striking Out

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If mass mailing does not work out, does anyone have any ideas on how to better position yourself for big law. Above median grades at T-14, but not top 1/4 or something like that that could place you within article III clerkship.

Are there any non-SA summer jobs that give you a better chance for 3lolci?
Any clerkships that are less competitive that can be used as spring boards to that coveted biglaw job, or to something else that down the road leads to biglaw?
Will specialization (tons of tax classes or anything along those lines) help?
Any strategies/things that we should do in the next two years of law school?

No.
No (except DE state clerkships, but those are as competitive).
No. It's possible to pull off the JD-LL.M-redo-OCI trick, but it's a 1/3 odds at best. Specialized courses alone won't help.
Yes, get high grades, network, intern and get to know professors well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:12 pm

I am below median at t14 and I struck out in OCI. I got a biglaw offer in December and received full-time offer after this summer.

The key is persistence. Keep applying through mass-mailing (don't give up on that), career office postings and personal networking. There are still fewer openings now but if you keep trying, there will be a spot for you.

Also, I suggest you try to change markets. I changed from domestic to international and got a biglaw position that way.

Boogaloo

Postby Boogaloo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:20 pm

OP who talked about changing markets from domestic to international, how did you go about this? What process, I mean?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am below median at t14 and I struck out in OCI. I got a biglaw offer in December and received full-time offer after this summer.

The key is persistence. Keep applying through mass-mailing (don't give up on that), career office postings and personal networking. There are still fewer openings now but if you keep trying, there will be a spot for you.

Also, I suggest you try to change markets. I changed from domestic to international and got a biglaw position that way.

OP here... I quit mass mailing this weekend, assuming it was over now, but you think in your experience that it is worth at this stage. I feel as if I am simply running out of firms to apply to in markets that would hire me (exhausted NALP, resume launchpad) and from what I see, tons of the NLJ350 do not even have summer programs.
Internationally, do you have foreign language skills or did you just go for London?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Boogaloo wrote:OP who talked about changing markets from domestic to international, how did you go about this? What process, I mean?

I'd also like to know how/where to find these international openings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am below median at t14 and I struck out in OCI. I got a biglaw offer in December and received full-time offer after this summer.

OP here... I quit mass mailing this weekend, assuming it was over now, but you think in your experience that it is worth at this stage. I feel as if I am simply running out of firms to apply to in markets that would hire me (exhausted NALP, resume launchpad) and from what I see, tons of the NLJ350 do not even have summer programs.
Internationally, do you have foreign language skills or did you just go for London?

Hey, same guy above.

Don't quit mass mailing yet. Last year around this time, I got my final rejection and just started mass mailing. I admit I probably got hundreds of rejections (I was still getting rejection mails in spring) but it was worth it at the end.

Since you already sent so many applications, I think you should really follow up with them and call each firm. I heard a lot of people getting interviews through that. I got a CB from just calling a recruiting person about my application that was totally ignored by them.

About working internationally, you have to demonstrate your willingness to work overseas and perhaps find something in your experience that demonstrates such willingness. There are significant US practices in many non-US firms in cities such as Hong Kong, Singapore and London. Their summer programs are smaller but they still pay NY market and give full-time job offers at the end of summer.

Otherwise, you should think about applying to different markets in the US.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Boogaloo wrote:OP who talked about changing markets from domestic to international, how did you go about this? What process, I mean?

I just mass mailed every UK big law (not just Magic Circle) with a US practice and got an interview opportunity, which turned into an offer in December.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I just mass mailed every UK big law (not just Magic Circle) with a US practice and got an interview opportunity, which turned into an offer in December.

PLEASE MESSAGE ME IMMEDIATELY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:46 pm

anyone got a tip on how to find these UK biglaw firms with a US practice?

Borg

Postby Borg » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:48 pm

I would also hit legal departments at every Fotune 500 company. A friend of mine struck out, worked for GE for the summer, and then got snagged by a big firm as a 3L.

Boogaloo

Postby Boogaloo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

PLEASE MESSAGE ME IMMEDIATELY.

But you were applying to practice in America, and not the UK, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone got a tip on how to find these UK biglaw firms with a US practice?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... _law_firms

Try search their websites (some of them have specific US career pages) or email/call their recruitment people about these opportunities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Boogaloo wrote:

I was originally applying for US positions only. After receiving a lot of rejections, I decided to try applying for overseas positions for US law students. I applied to not just UK, but also Hong Kong and Singapore as well. I also heard about positions in Tokyo.

Boogaloo

Postby Boogaloo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Boogaloo wrote:

I was originally applying for US positions only. After receiving a lot of rejections, I decided to try applying for overseas positions for US law students. I applied to not just UK, but also Hong Kong and Singapore as well. I also heard about positions in Tokyo.

First of all, thank you so much for being this responsive. It is incredible kind of you.

Second, did you need to complete QTLS or anything? I've look at some of these websites, and there doesn't seem to be much information about US students applying. Your suggestion is to contact the recruiters, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Boogaloo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Boogaloo wrote:

First of all, thank you so much for being this responsive. It is incredible kind of you.

Second, did you need to complete QTLS or anything? I've look at some of these websites, and there doesn't seem to be much information about US students applying. Your suggestion is to contact the recruiters, right?

np. I didn't complete any requirement outside of US legal education. If you do work for a UK firm, you will be going through the US associate track with similar requirements and pays like NY associates. An example would be:

--LinkRemoved--

Some have similar links but others you will have to email or call.

A good resource if you want to work in Asia is this:
http://abovethelaw.com/asia-chronicles/

You can actually try email these headhunters to ask about different opportunities. They probably can't help you find a job now (they make money referring experienced lawyers) but at least they will know which firms hire US law grads.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:10 pm

When you have applied to every market that would plausibly hire you, move onto the longer shots. I'm still shocked that I got a job in a fairly competitive secondary that was supposed to be ties-heavy. I didn't send my app until September and didn't get my offer until November.

Don't reject yourself. They'll do it for you.

Boogaloo

Postby Boogaloo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks so much guys. It must feel good to be in a stable place.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Herbert Smith London usually hires for their US practice. They usually do screeners in November / December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 pm

For Herbert Smith, where do we find their recruiting contact or application for a US summer associate position in London? All I can find is training contract and/or vacation scheme. Is one of them it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Did you guys apply to the international/asian offices of american firms? or just mostly magic circle, UK, and australian firms?

Return to “Legal Employment”