When to Ask About Compensation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Raima

New

When to Ask About Compensation?

Post by Raima » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:39 pm

I interviewed with a mid-sized firm that I really, really liked. I spoke with one partner there today with whom I had connected a while back (pre-interview) and who has been amazingly kind and open throughout my interview process. He said to expect an offer this week. I would like to work there, as work really ends by 5-6PM every evening. Every other firm I have had the opportunity to interview with and/or receive an offer from seems to run its associates ragged, with an 8AM-to-8PM-or-later mentality. This mid-size is like a dream.

I did as much research as I could on this, and the internet and word-of-mouth have indicated that an associate starting there will get paid $105K. But, I don't know how much stock to put into these sources - Glass Door type of sites, and other people working at different firms in the market who are only familiar with this firm from the outside. I don't want to ask the partner who has been helping me, because although our relationship is friendly, I think bringing money up would potentially turn him off (I think we get along so well because we've never really talked serious business, and always kept conversations light and fun).

Long story short - although I may have an idea of the possible salary I would get at this firm, can I ask right when I get the offer? It will either be this, or a job with longer hours that pays $135K, and I would give up $30K for the really great hours, but no more than $30K (i.e., if salary is $90K, I would likely turn it down)...

When is an appropriate time to bring up money in this process? I would appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!

aces

Bronze

Re: When to Ask About Compensation?

Post by aces » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:02 pm

At the very least, I would certainly not broach it until you get an offer. There is a pretty good chance that an offer would be accompanied by salary information. Even if it isn't, I think once you have an offer, it is certainly appropriate to reach out to HR and inquire about salary and benefits. I would reach out to the recruiting staff or HR and not ask the partner you connected with.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 pm

It may be in your offer letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:14 pm

I was thinking that they would tell me at some point, but will their offer work like other offers? I feel pretty ignorant asking this, I just haven't dealt with any mid-sized firms before. Is the process going to be the same as with bigger firms? It was such a friendly office, I'm just unsure of what its "business face" looks like. Like all others?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:16 pm

IAFG wrote:It may be in your offer letter.
What she said.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was thinking that they would tell me at some point, but will their offer work like other offers? I feel pretty ignorant asking this, I just haven't dealt with any mid-sized firms before. Is the process going to be the same as with bigger firms? It was such a friendly office, I'm just unsure of what its "business face" looks like. Like all others?
Maybe the same, maybe not. I'd wait for the letter though and see if it has the info you need. If it doesn't, just ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:29 am

somewhat related,but any idea what the yearly salary increases would be for a firm paying in the 100-105k range?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was thinking that they would tell me at some point, but will their offer work like other offers? I feel pretty ignorant asking this, I just haven't dealt with any mid-sized firms before. Is the process going to be the same as with bigger firms? It was such a friendly office, I'm just unsure of what its "business face" looks like. Like all others?
Take this for what it's worth, but I worked in a similar kind of firm, and the offer letter had info about salary and benefits.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”