Schiff Hardin or Reed Smith (both Chicago)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Schiff Hardin or Reed Smith (both Chicago)

SH
55%
RS
45%

Total votes: 33

Anonymous User

Schiff Hardin or Reed Smith (both Chicago)?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:40 pm

I keep going back and forth. I want to stay in Chicago for a while, but not sure about permanently. No idea what I want to practice. Need to decide soon and would love input (literally any input at all).

I know RS pays below market; that is not a huge deal to me.

Anonymous User

Re: Schiff Hardin or Reed Smith (both Chicago)?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 pm

I really liked interviewing with Reed Smith Chicago. I felt like everyone was very nice, you would get training early on, and once you were part of RS you were "in." People seemed to work very hard there. I have no idea about SH, but I met one partner there who was pretty arrogant/dismissive. Maybe he was just having a bad day though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 pm

I received an offer from RS. Likely going to accept. Because RS bought of Sachnoff & Weaver five years ago, their office culture is unique. Everyone I have met was interesting and extremely laid-back. Seemed like a work hard, play hard sort of office. I don't know anything meaningful about Schiff Hardin, but I didn't like the people I interviewed with from Schiff. They seemed stuffy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:14 am

You know that Schiff no-offers a lot of people, right?

According to NALP, Reed Smith offered all 4 of its Chicago summers last year. Schiff offered 5 of 8. The choice is clear if you ask me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:47 am

SH 7/8 last summer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:SH 7/8 last summer

Where did you get this info from?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Where did you get this info from?

The NALP form.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:19 pm

I interviewed with both offices on a CB, but accepted an offer from a different firm. I will say, I found a lot to dislike about Schiff Hardin during my callback. The attorneys I met just did not seem to be enjoying what they were doing,and the associates that took me to lunch had never even met each other. Going off vibe alone, I found RS to be much collegial/laid-back. If the 15k difference in salary does not bother you, than go with RS.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm not sure how all these anonymous posters sharing their views based on callbacks really helps the OP. Since OP has an offer from both, s/he has had callbacks at both. I think it would probably be far more useful for someone who is/knows an associate to offer their views. Otherwise, this feels more like a gang up on Schiff Hardin thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:52 pm

I accepted an offer at Schiff. I liked everyone I met with. Associates seemed busy/no real problems meeting hours. Pretty transparent management. Firm is very litigation heavy as compared with corporate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:05 am

This summer (2012) it was 7/8. Last summer (2011) it was 5/8. Both pieces of info are from their NALP form.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 am

6/8 Summer 2010 if anyone is curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:09 pm

RS cut salaries in major markets during the recession. Stands to reason that they might come back up to market levels (Schiff Hardin actually did this exact same thing). Tough to bank on this, and I have no inside info to back it up. Just saying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:RS cut salaries in major markets during the recession. Stands to reason that they might come back up to market levels (Schiff Hardin actually did this exact same thing). Tough to bank on this, and I have no inside info to back it up. Just saying.

OP here...don't know what to make of this. Thanks for the input. Still just as confused.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 pm

I am in the exact same position, but I have Greenberg in the mix too. Such a hard choice. I loved the people I met with at Schiff, but it is not a national firm. I wish I could get a better idea of work/life balance. It seems so hard to tell without working there, but I get the sense that Schiff really likes to take care of its people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Did you two make your decisions yet? Just wondering...I'll be at Schiff this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you two make your decisions yet? Just wondering...I'll be at Schiff this summer.

I went Reed, but it was a very tough choice. Ultimately it was a personal fit thing for me. Both great choices though. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:21 am

Bump this thread a couple years later with the same issue. Looking more on the corporate/transactional side. Any input?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump this thread a couple years later with the same issue. Looking more on the corporate/transactional side. Any input?

Ditto. Curious to hear people's thoughts on this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:46 am

I chose RS and still feel great about it. Nothing against schiff. SH seemed more lit heavy but I was never interested in corp so I wasn't paying attention to that. You will get work in corporate at RS, the Chicago office stays busy there. Summer class is doubling in size next year. Lots of new additions to the office since last summer (ie growing). NY office just made the move to bump salaries to market. Not much talk of that here but if there was I wouldn't hear it anyway. Good signs all around though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I chose RS and still feel great about it. Nothing against schiff. SH seemed more lit heavy but I was never interested in corp so I wasn't paying attention to that. You will get work in corporate at RS, the Chicago office stays busy there. Summer class is doubling in size next year. Lots of new additions to the office since last summer (ie growing). NY office just made the move to bump salaries to market. Not much talk of that here but if there was I wouldn't hear it anyway. Good signs all around though.

Thank you. I am leaning RS as well, great to hear positive things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:41 am

Any opinions on how these two compare to K&L Gates Chicago office? Making a similar decision here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I chose RS and still feel great about it. Nothing against schiff. SH seemed more lit heavy but I was never interested in corp so I wasn't paying attention to that. You will get work in corporate at RS, the Chicago office stays busy there. Summer class is doubling in size next year. Lots of new additions to the office since last summer (ie growing). NY office just made the move to bump salaries to market. Not much talk of that here but if there was I wouldn't hear it anyway. Good signs all around though.

I thought the summer class was shrinking from 8 last year to 5 this year? Also, too bad about the salary. Was really hoping they'd bring it up with market after NY voted to do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Summer class was 6 last year. Will be doubled next summer. I am talking about RS Chicago to be clear. What I meant was associates aren't really talking about the bump, take that as you will. Decision makers might be but they wouldn't exactly keep me in the loop if they were.

Return to “Legal Employment”