Weird Situation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weird Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:52 am

I am in a situation in which I cannot tell whether an offer has been or will be made. I interviewed six weeks ago with a boutique. I heard absolutely nothing thereafter for four weeks. Two weeks ago, partner calls just to say that they are still considering me, and that one associate is considering quitting, and if that associate quits, there may be room for me, depending on whether that associate takes his business or leaves it behind, and if the associate does the latter, they will extend an offer. Silence since then.

I have had some interviews recently and have more interviews coming up, but this place would be my first choice for post-grad work, if I ever hear back from them. Otherwise, I will be taking whatever offer comes my way after this point, of course.

I just didn't really understand this phone call. I know it sounds pretty straightforward - but does anyone have any insight into what is going on here? Something about it seemed off or strange to me - but I don't know if this is intuition or flat-out paranoia!

TheZoid

Re: Weird Situation

Postby TheZoid » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:58 am

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I could be wrong here, but I wouldn't count on the offer. If the associate does leave, why wouldn't he take his book of business with him if he has the option to, which it sounds like he does. A book of business will always you more marketable to a new firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Why is this confusing? They can't hire you if it doesn't make financial sense for them. It only makes financial sense if an associate leaves but that person's business stays. If it was a definite no (e.g. they hated you) they'd have said so, so I think you can assume that they want to hire you but don't know if they will be able to.

That's not an offer.

a11 1n

Postby a11 1n » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:26 pm

TheZoid wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I could be wrong here, but I wouldn't count on the offer. If the associate does leave, why wouldn't he take his book of business with him if he has the option to, which it sounds like he does. A book of business will always you more marketable to a new firm.

The attorney could be leaving firm life and going in-house, or working for a federal agency etc. where a book of business would not necessarily translate. If he is leaving on good terms, he may leave his book of business with the firm.

As for the original post, are you kidding me? You are unsure whether the offer has been made? It obviously has not been. You can't figure out whether it will be made? Nobody on here can. It seems like the partner was straightforward with you, no analysis necessary. If you can swing another offer in the meantime, you can call/email the partner and explain that you have another offer but would prefer to work for his firm and leverage that for some more information/certainty. Until then, all you can do is wait and see...and apply to other firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”