2013 FCC Honors Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi! Has anybody heard back from the FCC honors program? I had a screener interview on Monday through school and wanted to see if anyone has gotten an invite for a full interview yet. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 pm

For what it's worth, I had a screener earlier this month and haven't heard anything one way or the other. Maybe they're taking their time/conducting all their interviews first.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:02 pm

according to the website, they will be contacting folks for interviews late september and early october, so I figure maybe next week?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:51 pm

I asked my OCI screener when they expected to extend CBs, and he said no earlier than mid-October.

Btw, how did your interviews go? I got grilled.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:11 am

I was told CB decisions would be made / communicated in early-to-mid October. I had an OCI screener in mid-September.

My interviewer was pretty chill, actually. I don't think I did a great job communicating my interest in what the FCC does, to be honest. But most of the discussion was about: why government, why the FCC, tell me about this or that on my resume. I certainly wasn't grilled about anything - sounds like bad luck drawing a tough interviewer.

I got the impression from my interviewer that CB decisions would largely be made on the basis of resume and the cover letters. Unlike, for instance, my DOL interview, it didn't seem like the interviewer would have as much input into the decision. My interviewer even told me to submit the my application materials online just to be safe.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was told CB decisions would be made / communicated in early-to-mid October. I had an OCI screener in mid-September.

My interviewer was pretty chill, actually. I don't think I did a great job communicating my interest in what the FCC does, to be honest. But most of the discussion was about: why government, why the FCC, tell me about this or that on my resume. I certainly wasn't grilled about anything - sounds like bad luck drawing a tough interviewer.

I got the impression from my interviewer that CB decisions would largely be made on the basis of resume and the cover letters. Unlike, for instance, my DOL interview, it didn't seem like the interviewer would have as much input into the decision. My interviewer even told me to submit the my application materials online just to be safe.


I sure hope that's the case. My application was better than my screener interview.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I asked my OCI screener when they expected to extend CBs, and he said no earlier than mid-October.

Btw, how did your interviews go? I got grilled.


My interview was OK. 20 minutes so not enough time really. How were you grilled? Specifics about the FCC?

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:54 pm

I had a friend get FCC honors. They were magna at a T14 with extensive media internships in law school and prior WE in entertainment. From what I gather, it is one of the harder honors programs to get into, more along the lines of DOJ/NLRB than NRC/EPA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:59 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I had a friend get FCC honors. They were magna at a T14 with extensive media internships in law school and prior WE in entertainment. From what I gather, it is one of the harder honors programs to get into, more along the lines of DOJ/NLRB than NRC/EPA.


Are grades very important? Do you know anybody else that got in?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Does anybody know what CB is like? What they ask?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I asked my OCI screener when they expected to extend CBs, and he said no earlier than mid-October.

Btw, how did your interviews go? I got grilled.


My interview was OK. 20 minutes so not enough time really. How were you grilled? Specifics about the FCC?


Yeah, like a policy question that the interviewer and then a hypothetical how-would-you-react-to-this question where you feel like they want to hear you go one way or the direct opposite.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I asked my OCI screener when they expected to extend CBs, and he said no earlier than mid-October.

Btw, how did your interviews go? I got grilled.


My interview was OK. 20 minutes so not enough time really. How were you grilled? Specifics about the FCC?


Yeah, like a policy question that the interviewer ultimately deemed one of the most difficult issues the FCC deals with and then a hypothetical how-would-you-react-to-this question where you feel like they want to hear you go one way or the direct opposite.


ouch, thats too bad. especially for a screener...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 pm

bu-bump.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:54 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I had a friend get FCC honors. They were magna at a T14 with extensive media internships in law school and prior WE in entertainment. From what I gather, it is one of the harder honors programs to get into, more along the lines of DOJ/NLRB than NRC/EPA.

I had a friend get FCC honors, but he also summered with them. (T1, I'm not sure if he was Order of the Coif but if not he was close; EIC of secondary journal on relevant topic; moot court; good work experience.
)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:22 pm

still no word...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:still no word...


Same. I did get an email last week or week before asking me to resend all my materials. Had OCI screener several weeks prior. Not reading much into it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:still no word...


Same. I did get an email last week or week before asking me to resend all my materials. Had OCI screener several weeks prior. Not reading much into it.


that sounds positive though, but I understand not wanting to get your hopes up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am

fingers crossed we hear from this week

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 pm

I've heard nothing either...I'm really hoping we hear something this week!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Nothing here, either. I bet it will be this week or next.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 pm

From what I gather, they're deciding on CBs now. Does anyone know how many CBs, open spots, and when they make offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 pm

I don't think it's going to happen this week, it's COB Thursday already.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think it's going to happen this week, it's COB Thursday already.


Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. But hiring committees do seem to like meeting on Friday (as a general matter... I know nothing about the FCC hiring committee).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I gather, they're deciding on CBs now. Does anyone know how many CBs, open spots, and when they make offers?


Care to give an idea of where you gathered that from (if you can do it without outing yourself)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 FCC Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I gather, they're deciding on CBs now. Does anyone know how many CBs, open spots, and when they make offers?


Care to give an idea of where you gathered that from (if you can do it without outing yourself)?

Sure. I was told late September that theyd be making their decisions about interviews within 2 weeks. And on this thread others were told first two weeks in October.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.