Anybody get an offer from a callback they felt went poorly?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anybody get an offer from a callback they felt went poorly?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:10 pm

? Had one this week, feel like I was less than impressive in 2/4 interviews.

Anonymous User

Re: Anybody get an offer from a callback they felt went poorly?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Yes, absolutely. I thought the callback for the offer I eventually accepted went really poorly, and I didn't get offers from a couple firms where everything seemed great. We just had a thread on this - there's no way for you to realistically gauge how it all went unless something truly exceptional happened (the senior partner fell backwards into a dishwasher). Some people may like you but just be awkward interviewers, while some people may hate your guts and just have fantastic poker faces. Just try to forget about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Yeah, I had one CB interview when I met with a partner on a hiring committee who stared at me in silence for the first 45 seconds of the interview. She then looked at my resume for like a minute and apparently found nothing worth talking about. I ended up just starting to ask her questions about the firm completely uprompted because I couldnt stand another second of silence.

Offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Op here. I babbled unbelievably on the third and fourth of four interviews. Haven't been dinged yet though.

Watermelon Man

Postby Watermelon Man » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:58 pm

what did you say?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 pm

I couldn't find the word I was looking for when answering a question. I instead used a really cumbersome and awkward phrase. Pretty sure one of the words was not even correct english.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:01 pm

I ended one interview (with a partner) ten minutes early by saying, "Well, thanks for meeting with me" when I couldn't think of any questions to ask (I didn't sleep much the night before). It was awkward sitting silently while she did some work. With the same firm I laughed when an associate said she was being tedious and made her blush in embarrassment. Offer.

With another firm everything went perfectly, great conversations and all. A couple of the attorneys said I'd fit in really well. Ding. You can't predict these things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Twice i felt I bored the living shit out of interviewers and twice I got offers. Maybe boring == good associate? Who knows.

Return to “Legal Employment”