Do Firms Replace Clerks? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do Firms Replace Clerks?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:09 pm

If an offered SA takes a clerkship, does it create a vacancy in that class, or do firms always assume their clerk is going to come home and thus leave that spot empty?

More directly: if you know that someone at an office took a clerkship, is it worthwhile to send an app there?

Wholigan

Silver

Re: Do Firms Replace Clerks?

Post by Wholigan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Are you a 2L and you know a 3L from that firm who took a clerkship? That isn't going to create a space for the class you want to be in anyway. In fact, if the 3L took a 2013-2014 clerkship, it would mean they are starting full-time in Fall 2014 assuming they don't change firms - which is the same time you would start, assuming you are a 2L.

Beyond all that, I think that firms with large incoming classes estimate that a certain number of students from each class will clerk, so I doubt it will create an opening. If it's a firm with a smaller summer class, I don't know. It can't hurt to apply if it's not a firm you have already applied to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:35 pm

OP

I'm a 3L. I know at least one person from a three-person summer class is taking a clerkship. It's a satellite office (40 attorneys) of a much larger firm. Just wondering how worthwhile is to throw an app at 'em.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP

I'm a 3L. I know at least one person from a three-person summer class is taking a clerkship. It's a satellite office (40 attorneys) of a much larger firm. Just wondering how worthwhile is to throw an app at 'em.
Considering how little effort/cost is involved in throwing an app their way, why wouldn't you?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Not directly. Most firms assume that a portion of their summer class will go to other firms, clerk, flame-out, etc. and thus higher more summers than they expect needing fulltime lawyers.

But things change, so it's definitely possible that heightened demand or summer departures create need.

You can't sniff it out by watching clerk hiring, however. It's basically never 1-to-1.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:01 pm

dingbat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP

Considering how little effort/cost is involved in throwing an app their way, why wouldn't you?
Exactly. It's always worth it to apply. If applying is a big strain on your time, you're doing applications wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”