What to Answer when Asked for Salary Range

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CPIII

What to Answer when Asked for Salary Range

Postby CPIII » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:04 am

Any thoughts? Looking for info on firms in the 2-10 attorney, or 11-30 attorney range. Southern part of the country.

anon168

Re: What to Answer when Asked for Salary Range

Postby anon168 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:36 am

CPIII wrote:Any thoughts? Looking for info on firms in the 2-10 attorney, or 11-30 attorney range. Southern part of the country.

"I would like something that is competitive with the peers in your market, but am willing to be flexible due to my significant interest in your firm."

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:40 am

anon168 wrote:
CPIII wrote:Any thoughts? Looking for info on firms in the 2-10 attorney, or 11-30 attorney range. Southern part of the country.

"I would like something that is competitive with the peers in your market, but am willing to be flexible due to my significant interest in your firm."

Great answer. No matter what the job is, do everything you can to avoid giving a number.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 am

The right approach is to avoid giving a number. This is a question with no correct answer -- a small number sounds desperate and a big number will not get you the job. Just say you don't have anything specific in mind and as long as it is within market range (whatever that is) you'll be ok. Let them make an offer and then think about whether you like it.

togepi

Postby togepi » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:58 am

Tell them to give you a number. Then quadruple it.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:03 am

tell them to give you a number (more precisely, wait for them to make you an offer), then add 10%

Return to “Legal Employment”