2L at TT with 2013 SA offer.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L at TT with 2013 SA offer.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Currently, I'm near the top of my class. I'm on law review, and have several book awards.

My question: can I just maintain great grades, and not worry about being published in law review or doing a moot court team?

TYIA.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L at TT with 2013 SA offer.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently, I'm near the top of my class. I'm on law review, and have several book awards.

My question: can I just maintain great grades, and not worry about being published in law review or doing a moot court team?

TYIA.

my understanding is that you can do that to maintain your job offer (i.e. no publication or moot), but if you want to clerk, you have to put yourself through working on the editorial board of your law review in addition to maintaining top of the class grades, and you really should bust your ass to get published. (i only mention this because a bunch of the best lit firms out there - Susman, Keker, etc, will really only consider you after you've clerked. i don't know if that's also true for the corporate side).

somewhatwayward

Re: 2L at TT with 2013 SA offer.

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Someone else asked a similar question recently, which I answered, and I will say the same thing again. Contrary to popular TLS lore, I think your grades can matter in getting an offer. Very frequently they do not matter as is evidenced by many people getting offers without even providing their transcripts. However, current/former associates who were involved in hiring have mentioned that sometimes mediocre summer performance + drop in grades can equal no offer, especially if the firm is looking for a few people to no offer. I don't think you need to worry about winning moot court or getting published (although if you have to write a note/comment anyway, you may as well get it published either in your LR or by spamming any other law journal it might be vaguely relevant to), and, if you were like the top person in your class, I don't think you need to maintain such a high rank, but I think you do need to get, at the very least, good grades. It is hard to be scientific and pick an exact rank to aim for, but if you had basically all As last year, I would aim to get at least half As this year, more if possible. Remember you can game it a little by taking classes with easier curves.

I guess I should have started by asking whether the firm traditionally offers 100%. If so, there is much less to worry about although your grades could (will?) also come into play when moving to your next job after the firm. So the long and short of it is, keep your grades up.

Return to “Legal Employment”