US Practices in the Magic Circle London Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

US Practices in the Magic Circle London Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Hey guys,

I have offers at two Magic Circle firms in London, but am really struggling to find information about their US practices. I can find stuff about their NY offices or their London offices, but not specifically their US practices in London.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

piccolittle

Re: US Practices in the Magic Circle London Offices

Postby piccolittle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

I have offers at two Magic Circle firms in London, but am really struggling to find information about their US practices. I can find stuff about their NY offices or their London offices, but not specifically their US practices in London.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

What do you want to know? A lot of us interviewed/offered/will be spending the summer there, and there is already some discussion on the boards, so if you post more specific questions I bet we can help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Yeah, I've seen lots of general stuff on the boards, and some things about exit options, but more specifically - I'd love to know:

1) Re summer program - how hard do they work you? Do they still do fun social events?

2) How big are the US practice areas? #s of partners vs associates? (the stats I've found are for either NY offices or the firm's entire US practice area across all offices)

3) Do they really do anything besides capital markets? Are some firms more likely to do other corporate work as well?

4) Do they pay COLAs?

Thanks!

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 pm

At least one point of reference:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

I did part of my summer last year in London with a US firm and I can tell you that you're not gonna really do anything other than corporate. I worked harder during the London part of my summer than during the NY part, but again that is a US firm not magic circle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Awesome. Thanks! Anybody else have any ideas?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I've seen lots of general stuff on the boards, and some things about exit options, but more specifically - I'd love to know:

1) Re summer program - how hard do they work you? Do they still do fun social events?

2) How big are the US practice areas? #s of partners vs associates? (the stats I've found are for either NY offices or the firm's entire US practice area across all offices)

3) Do they really do anything besides capital markets? Are some firms more likely to do other corporate work as well?

4) Do they pay COLAs?

Thanks!

1. Not the MC firm, but the Silver Circle firm where I interviewed told me that they try to make an effort to get the summers out exploring London, and generally try to do a lunch or dinner around once a week. Bear in mind, it's a relatively tiny summer program in these offices so your summer will naturally be more geared toward work than social agenda. I've also heard the experience is much more 'realistic' in the sense that they basically treat you like a first year associate.

2. Most of these questions are really firm specific, but the groups I've interviewed with range from around 15 - 30ish people. I think the MC firms tend to have smaller US practice groups in London than American firms.

3. Very firm specific. But even if they have other corporate groups, most of what I've seen is capital markets/securities. Don't go in expecting to be able to focus on M&A and not have an extremely limited practice.

4. Yes, they pay COLAs. Amounts will vary by firm, but it should be in the 2500ish pound range per month.

Hope that's helpful. These are questions you should be able to ask the firms where you have offers, as most of them are very fact specific and not particularly sensitive - all essential info if you are serious about spending your summer/career there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:42 am

I love when TLS comes through with helpful answers. Thank you so much!!

Return to “Legal Employment”