Call from recruiter--wanted to "check on my status."

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Call from recruiter--wanted to "check on my status."

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Yesterday I got a call from the recruiting director from a firm I did a callback with many weeks ago. She was calling to tell me that they started giving out offers and wanted to know if my status had changed/if I was still interested. Is this a good sign or a cruel joke? Has this happened to anyone else (it sucks--I got super pumped thinking it was an offer when I saw the number, but alas)?

ph14

Re: Call from recruiter--wanted to "check on my status."

Postby ph14 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yesterday I got a call from the recruiting director from a firm I did a callback with many weeks ago. She was calling to tell me that they started giving out offers and wanted to know if my status had changed/if I was still interested. Is this a good sign or a cruel joke? Has this happened to anyone else (it sucks--I got super pumped thinking it was an offer when I saw the number, but alas)?

It's a good sign. Means they're considering giving you an offer but don't want to extend one if you've accepted elsewhere or are no longer interested. If you said you're available and still interested, you might be getting an offer soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:42 pm

I told her I was still interested, but should I send some sort of follow up e-mail/maybe a LOCI letting them know they're my first choice (they are a very small, mid-lawish firm), or is that overkill? halp

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:44 pm

How long after your cb did you receive the call?
Definitely a good sign. As long as you said you're still interested, I think point's taken and there's no need to send another email.

apparentlynew

Postby apparentlynew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 pm

If they are actually your first choice, definitely tell them that. However, I wouldn't stop there. If they are your first choice, say so, and then explicitly say you'd accept the offer if it were given.

They called you to see if an offer given to you would waste their time. Don't leave this at "I'm interested" if you really want this place.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 pm

CB was almost a month ago. I got a standard "we are still considering your candidacy" e-mail about 10 days after interviewing to which I responded that I was very interested. Got another one like early last week that was like "please inform us of any status change" and I didn't respond because I didn't have a status change. I know they're worried about extending offers and having them turned down, so I was considering letting them know that I'd accept but it does sound a bit like overkill in retrospect.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Might as well tell them you'd accept if you would. Doesn't hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:50 pm

ph14 wrote:Might as well tell them you'd accept if you would. Doesn't hurt.

Really? Any advice on how to phrase this without sounding desperate? I have callbacks pending, but no other offers on the table to use as leverage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:51 pm

I would just leave it be. sounds like you answered the question that they asked and let them know you were still interested

Boogaloo

Postby Boogaloo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 pm

OP, could you PM me?

I might have interviewed at the same firm!

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:Might as well tell them you'd accept if you would. Doesn't hurt.

Really? Any advice on how to phrase this without sounding desperate? I have callbacks pending, but no other offers on the table to use as leverage.

If and only if you want to go down this route, tell them that you have other callbacks in other markets, but you really want to be in their market, plus firm is excellent because of bla bla bla, and thus you would accept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Boogaloo wrote:OP, could you PM me?

PM'd you, breh.

Pokemon wrote:

If and only if you want to go down this route, tell them that you have other callbacks in other markets, but you really want to be in their market, plus firm is excellent because of bla bla bla, and thus you would accept.

Thanks, I'll mull it over but will def. use this as a template if I e-mail them.

lawgrl21

Postby lawgrl21 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:02 pm

OP will you pm me as well? thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm

lawgrl21 wrote:

OP will you pm me as well? thanks!

I PM'd you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm

what was the outcome OP?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I told her I was still interested, but should I send some sort of follow up e-mail/maybe a LOCI letting them know they're my first choice (they are a very small, mid-lawish firm), or is that overkill? halp

Eliminate the loci from your law firm job search vocabulary. At best, it will not get read. At worst, it will quickly lead to your rejection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I told her I was still interested, but should I send some sort of follow up e-mail/maybe a LOCI letting them know they're my first choice (they are a very small, mid-lawish firm), or is that overkill? halp

Eliminate the loci from your law firm job search vocabulary. At best, it will not get read. At worst, it will quickly lead to your rejection.

This frankly isn't true. I sent what was essentially a LOCI and received an offer soon after. The firm said I would hear something by x date. I didn't. So I sent them an email saying that I really liked them and was still interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

This frankly isn't true. I sent what was essentially a LOCI and received an offer soon after. The firm said I would hear something by x date. I didn't. So I sent them an email saying that I really liked them and was still interested.

I second this. I'm not sure the LOCI helped, but got an offer after one.

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 pm

edited

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

That's fine. By loci, I mean a one page letter talking about why you want to work at the firm.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:33 am

Fresh Prince wrote:

lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:49 am

Just got a similar call. What was the result, op? And what was the result for other people this has happened to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:56 am

I received 2 of those calls post-cb. 1 led to a rejection a few weeks later, the other led to silence. I told both of them I had until this week to decide on my outstanding offer, so I would imagine the silence to be an implicit rejection given that they know my timeline for my open offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:58 am

Fwiw i got two of these calls. 1 ended up as an offer and one as a rejection. It depends on whether the people ahead of you accept their offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:28 pm

I got one of these calls from Squire Sanders, after the call, I responded via email and phone multiple times. They never bothered to get back to me. Wasn't this cycle, but it did happen within the last few cycles. I wouldn't count your chickens just yet.

Return to “Legal Employment”