Summered, Offered, Grades Dropped...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
armystrong

Summered, Offered, Grades Dropped...

Postby armystrong » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Summered as a 1L at V10, got the offer, but second semester of 1L was really bad (2.5). I'm at 2.9 currently, and my firm is asking for a transcript/updated resume. Am I in trouble?

Just a little background: the firm gave an offer to everyone (60+ summers in NY) and at no time were grades brought up by anyone, nor was it on the offer letter (i.e. Offer rescinded if grades drop a certain level). I had stellar reviews from the partners/associates I worked with during the summer, and I attended almost every summer event (there were a ton), so I'm okay in those departments.

I've searched through the TLS forums for some guidance, but there didn't seem to be a threat focusing on my situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by armystrong on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goodolgil

Re: Summered, Offered, Grades Dropped...

Postby goodolgil » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm assuming this was an offer to return for 2L summer? If so, you are probably fine there, but you may be in trouble in landing a full-time offer at the end of next summer. I doubt they'd rescind for next summer...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:39 pm

armystrong wrote:I had stellar reviews from the partners/associates I worked with during the summer

This seems to be a pretty good indicator of what they think about you.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

armystrong

Postby armystrong » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm

The offer is for next summer and to work there full-time upon graduation.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:51 pm

Do you go to a t14/school with a normal 3.3ish curve? If so, holy hell those are terrible grades. What were you thinking?

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:54 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
5ky wrote:Do you go to a t14/school with a normal 3.3ish curve? If so, holy hell those are terrible grades. What were you thinking?

Not sure if that helps.

By the way, I'm sure you already know, but study your butt off these next two semesters.

I mean, if his curve is a 3.0 or lower, I would say it wouldn't matter at all. And since he/she got a fulltime offer, I'm inclined to think he/she is fine regardless, but it'd be a point of concern.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:04 pm

5ky wrote:Do you go to a t14/school with a normal 3.3ish curve? If so, holy hell those are terrible grades. What were you thinking?

Responses like this are the reason why people are hesitant to reach out for advice on things like this.

OP, my only input is that from my past work experience. I used to help out in recruiting at the accounting firm that I worked at before law school. Our concern about such a drastic grade drop after landing a position was that a person saw landing a position as the end of their needing to work hard, when it is really the beginning. If I were making the call, I wouldn't really care that much about the grades, only the end work product. But, from a hiring perspective, my concern would be that we were bringing someone onboard who was going to have a sense of entitlement and not want to work hard once they started at the firm. If you could eliminate this concern in my mind somehow (which in your position I would say you did so by getting solid reviews and being invited back), I wouldn't have a problem with the grades.

Obviously, a law firm and an accounting firm aren't the same, but hopefully that will be of some use.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Whether it will make a difference or not, there's nothing you can do about it now. Try to bring your grades up and have an idea of what you would say about the drop in case anyone asks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:19 pm

armystrong wrote:Summered as a 1L at V10, got the offer, but second semester of 1L was really bad (2.5). I'm at 2.9 currently, and my firm is asking for a transcript/updated resume. Am I in trouble?

Just a little background: the firm gave an offer to everyone (60+ summers in NY) and at no time were grades brought up by anyone, nor was it on the offer letter (i.e. Offer rescinded if grades drop a certain level). I had stellar reviews from the partners/associates I worked with during the summer, and I attended almost every summer event (there were a ton), so I'm okay in those departments.

I've searched through the TLS forums for some guidance, but there didn't seem to be a threat focusing on my situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Weil won't care. I think they just need it for their records.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Do V10 firms do 1L SA that are not diversity based?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:37 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Do V10 firms do 1L SA that are not diversity based?

Yes. Not many though slots though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
armystrong wrote:Summered as a 1L at V10, got the offer, but second semester of 1L was really bad (2.5). I'm at 2.9 currently, and my firm is asking for a transcript/updated resume. Am I in trouble?

Weil won't care. I think they just need it for their records.

How do you know it's Weil?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Different anon, Weil has a class of about 60 and is not as grade selective as the rest of V-10, including Latham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Don't want to say because it might out me.

But OP, if it helps, I know someone who did their 1L summer there who was in the same position and she's turned out fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't want to say because it might out me.

But OP, if it helps, I know someone who did their 1L summer there who was in the same position and she's turned out fine.

She had similar grades?

Return to “Legal Employment”