Didn't attend OCI - any chance of a Vault 100 firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Didn't attend OCI - any chance of a Vault 100 firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:07 pm

I am a 2L at a school ranked between 7-10, have a 3.366 and I didn't attend OCI . . .Over the summer I was a hippie who thought I wanted to do Public Interest. My mind has since changed, and I've now gone ahead and spammed Vault 100 (and lower) firms with my resume.

Is there any chance, this late in the game, of getting a call-back / interview of any kind?

Anyone have any similar experiences?

I figure I have no chance, but spammed applications anyway. Just wondering what anyone's thoughts were. I don't need to be flamed - I already know I'm a moron!

goodolgil

Re: Didn't attend OCI - any chance of a Vault 100 firm

Postby goodolgil » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Yes, there's a chance at firms that have had low yields and still have to fill up their class.

The OCI schedule gets earlier every year, so now is later than it was at this time last year, and significantly later than this time two years ago. But it isn't over yet.

You actually have an advantage not doing OCI at all to those who struck out--you have the option of mailing every firm, while others have to settle for only mailing firms who haven't rejected them already.

I'm not sure whether I'd tell them that you didn't do OCI or not. "I didn't interview with your firm at OCI" might suffice. Not sure what others think on that (in one way it might make you more attractive since you're not an "OCI reject,"--on the other it's a bit awkward and it indicates a lack of interest in firm life).

EDIT: Are you sure you want a firm job? Not doing OCI is a significant decision and it indicates you were pretty committed to PI. The PI 2L job search is hard, but unlike OCI, it's barely begun, so I hope you're not switching up because you haven't found a job yet.

The other obvious option (which you're probably aware of), is to gun 2L and try to get a clerkship if you don't have any luck mailing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Do not mention anything about OCI. I struck out and mass mailing, and I no longer mention it since it feels so long ago. Having said that, your GPA is problematic, even from T7-t10, especially at this point. Since you were also thinking like a hippie, I imagine your work experience sucks so there is a big chance that this is going to be a very uphill battle.
Finally, going to biglaw because you cannot find other job is not a bad idea... that is over 50% of law students, especially those with soft majors. Going to biglaw at this point in the process (late September) because you cannot find other job, then that sounds like a bad idea because at this point biglaw has become as difficult as any other job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do not mention anything about OCI. I struck out and mass mailing, and I no longer mention it since it feels so long ago. Having said that, your GPA is problematic, even from T7-t10, especially at this point. Since you were also thinking like a hippie, I imagine your work experience sucks so there is a big chance that this is going to be a very uphill battle.
Finally, going to biglaw because you cannot find other job is not a bad idea... that is over 50% of law students, especially those with soft majors. Going to biglaw at this point in the process (late September) because you cannot find other job, then that sounds like a bad idea because at this point biglaw has become as difficult as any other job.

I have a WAYYYY lower GPA at a T7-10, am K-JD, and did PI during the summer (involuntarily) and am just getting offers coming in from OCI CBs and am getting CBs from mass-mailing from V100 firms in NYC and two secondary markets. Mass-mail and hustle otherwise (network at local bar assoc. functions, CLEs, anything with working attorneys not put on by your school), and you'll have a decent shot at getting something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:17 am

I know someone with bottom 10% grades at MVP who received at least 3 offers, 2 being V100. K-JD & white.

It's kind of late in the game, but don't let others discourage you re: you GPA. Above median is nothing to scoff at. It's not so much the grades that you need to worry about, but the fact that it is late in the game. Many firms have finished or are finalizing their classes. You need to mass mail as many emails as possible. Start with your home market and major markets, then branch out into other major markets and other markets you have ties to.

Best of luck to you. And that guy two poasts above is negative. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing PI over the summer; I think most people at my T14 did PI work, and employers had no qualms about it. Just have a good, persuasive story about why you want to do BigLaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:24 am

Thank you for the responses. And no, I'm not sure I want to do BigLaw, it was more the realization that I don't want to have debt hanging over me for 10 years and the realization that this was probably my last chance ever to possibly get into a big firm.

I have one PI job already lined up, at a federal defender's office, going to the EJW fair (one interview so far, but there's still a week of waiting on those), etc., etc.

This was a change of heart, not a failure to find a job in "PI" haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:03 am

Sounds like me but I am not bottom 10%. Likely below median. At least 3 offers so far with a couple more decisions to come. Not all were through OCI. So get to mailing.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:06 am

Just go to the federal defenders office. If you get a job there after graduation, your 10 years will be much more pleasant than ours will be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:34 am

Just my anecdotal experience, but I see a lot more firms responding that they are done hiring lately, so I would suggest you get those letters out ASAP if you are going to do it. There are a lot of firms with offers floating around, so depending on the acceptances, they might be more open to a mass mail.

Return to “Legal Employment”