DOJ Tax civil or criminal? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOJ Tax civil or criminal?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Does anyone know how easy it is to switch once you are in DOJ Tax? Also which one is better for trying to:

1. Go to USAO;

2. Go to Biglaw; or

3. Go into academia?

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Tax civil or criminal?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how easy it is to switch once you are in DOJ Tax? Also which one is better for trying to:

1. Go to USAO;

2. Go to Biglaw; or

3. Go into academia?
I was a paralegal at DOJ Tax in one of the civil trial sections. I do not recall any attorneys switching from civil to crim or vice versa.

I can't speak much to whether crim is good for those three categories, but my inclination is that civil is better for most, especially Biglaw -- civil tax controversy is likely more billable than criminal. In the "biggest" tax scams / shelters involving lots of money, the litigation was mostly civil (probably because it's difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt criminal conduct when hundreds/thousands of people are participating and the scams involve hundreds of millions of dollars). Difficult to prove criminal violation when taxpayers have financial advisors, accounting firms, and large law firms telling them what they're doing is legal.

Criminal may be better for USAO because I think USAO handles some tax criminal work (I know they do in SDNY and also some smaller districts that I've seen bulletins on). I don't know the extent of civil tax work done in USAOs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how easy it is to switch once you are in DOJ Tax? Also which one is better for trying to:

1. Go to USAO;

2. Go to Biglaw; or

3. Go into academia?
I was a paralegal at DOJ Tax in one of the civil trial sections. I do not recall any attorneys switching from civil to crim or vice versa.

I can't speak much to whether crim is good for those three categories, but my inclination is that civil is better for most, especially Biglaw -- civil tax controversy is likely more billable than criminal. In the "biggest" tax scams / shelters involving lots of money, the litigation was mostly civil (probably because it's difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt criminal conduct when hundreds/thousands of people are participating and the scams involve hundreds of millions of dollars). Difficult to prove criminal violation when taxpayers have financial advisors, accounting firms, and large law firms telling them what they're doing is legal.

Criminal may be better for USAO because I think USAO handles some tax criminal work (I know they do in SDNY and also some smaller districts that I've seen bulletins on). I don't know the extent of civil tax work done in USAOs.
This is op. Thanks for the response. Did you enjoy working there? What was the impression you got from those you worked with?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:51 pm

1. Go to USAO;

2. Go to Biglaw; or

3. Go into academia?
When I was at the USAO, met several DOJ Tax guys, and the first thing they always asked me was whether our office was looking to hire. It is really hard to transition from DOJ Tax to USAO.

It's probably easier to go from DOJ Tax to Biglaw, but it depends on what kind of tax cases you've been doing. Civil summons, tax protestors, etc., then people will avoid you like yesterday's box of donuts. If you've doing tax fraud cases, then it might be different, but those are rare.

No idea what chances are like at academia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”