quitting with no notice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SemperLegal

Re: quitting with no notice

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:54 am

If geographically possible I would try to at least offer to a soft transfer where you go for training at the new job full-time and then work parttime for two weeks at each place to give them time to find a job.

There is a 99% chance that the old job will tell you to forget it, but if they have any class at all, they will appreciate the offer.

Never hurts to be the good guy.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Curious how this goes. Definitely report back OP.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:43 pm

So today really didn't turn out too bad. I went in there a little early and explained the situation to the lady who hired me and she seemed to understand. They had me write a letter of resignation and finish out the day. It was really awkward sitting there all day tho. Pretty much no one talked to me and I did absolutely nothing -- no work was assigned to me all day. When my lunch break rolled around I really considered not going back just because it was so awkward sitting there doing nothing and being ignored by everyone. I was so relieved when 5 o'clock rolled around and I booked it out of there.

What really struck me and really made me fell no remorse for giving no notice was the way my boss acted. The guy didn't even wanna talk to me when I told the office manager I was leaving. She sent him and email telling him the situation and he must have emailed her back how to handle it. You would think he would say something to me -- good or bad. I shouldn't be surprised because this was the same guy who didn't even look up from his computer when I came in to interview for the job and was introduced to him.

All and all it wasn't a wasted three months working there I really did learn a lot of practical stuff that I think will really pay off after law school. However, this firm really needs to do something about the way they treat people. They all bitched about how they couldn't get enough people to work there but once they get someone they treat them like shit.

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:16 pm

Your (now ex) boss is obviously a dick, but that's his problem - way to be classy by letting the office manager know. Keep a copy of that resignation letter for your records, and good luck at the new job.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Rocío wrote:Your (now ex) boss is obviously a dick, but that's his problem - way to be classy by letting the office manager know. Keep a copy of that resignation letter for your records, and good luck at the new job.

yeah I think I would have been miserable if I ended up staying there until law school started in fall 2013. thanks for all the advice

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:27 am

Op, how's the new job treating you??

Return to “Legal Employment”