Sidley Austin NY vs. Proskauer NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Sidley Austin
68%
Proskauer
33%

Total votes: 40

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Interested in general corporate but not sure which corporate practice specifically. Also Interested in the possibility of transferring to California sometime down the road, so strength in a Southern California office is important. Partnership is not definitively ruled out, so that is playing a part as well. Other than that, I received generally good vibes from the people at both firms. Suggestions/comments?

Anonymous User

Re: Sidley Austin NY vs. Proskauer NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Bump. Any rationale behind the votes?

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:45 pm

i can't comment on your work-related concerns, but i think i'd kill myself if i had to work in times square every day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:15 pm

courtneylove wrote:i can't comment on your work-related concerns, but i think i'd kill myself if i had to work in times square every day.

Fair concern.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:27 pm

People at Sidley seemed pretty happy. not at all like they had the last spark of life wrung out of them by a Times Square behemoth with empathy-challenged partners.

but yeah. For many places lateraling to another firm is easier than transferring to a different office so strength in CA is probably not a great metric for a NYC summer offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:52 pm

OP here. Final soft bump before a decision will be made.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:10 pm

I voted for Sidley. I had screeners with both Proskauer and Sidley and came away with a great feeling about Sidley--the interviewers, recruiters and diversity recruiter were all great, friendly and interesting people. A friend of mine summered there and absolutely loved it. Sidley is also known to have a more friendly vibe because of its midwestern routes. I've heard mixed reviews about Proskauer but if you're interested in labor/employment that could be a reason to choose it over Sidley. I think overall Sidley is stronger (according to Chambers Associate it's Band 1 in Corporate/M&A while Proskauer is Band 2 in Corporate/M&A). So yeah, I'd pick Sidley because it's stronger in corporate and known for a decent work environment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:09 am

I voted for Proskauer but you won't go wrong with either. I don't know much about Sidley, but I do know that the people at Proskauer are great. Overall, both great options. Go with your gut.

Return to “Legal Employment”