Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Jones Day (NYC) or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Jones Day
15
54%
Willkie
13
46%
 
Total votes: 28

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 pm

So I really liked both firms when I visited, though I think I liked the vibe at Willkie a bit more, but really I think it's a toss up in terms of where I think I would fit best. I'm looking to go into litigation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 pm

Absolutely JD over Willkie. Their litigation department is truly one of the best, and the firm as a whole is more well known, due to the size of the firm, the clients they work for, the cases they have handled, etc.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 pm

OP here - if you can explain why you chose that way I'd appreciate it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Full Disclosure: I summered at JD and absolutely loved it. The people were the perfect combination of impressive and friendly. Their name has gotten nothing but positive responses both in the major market circles as well as in my small hometown legal community. I don't know much about Wilkie so it's less of a comparison between the two than an endorsement of JD.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - if you can explain why you chose that way I'd appreciate it.


A few things. First, the firm name is just so well-known nationwide, and it finishes very highly in terms of client satisfaction so the exit options will be great. The size of the firm allows for a large litigation department so you can find your niche anywhere within. JD also gives you an entire year as an associate before you have to commit to an area, so you can explore all areas of litigation before making a choice. The litigation department itself is consistently ranked as one of the best so it tends to attract many top litigators and indivduals who do high level appellate work. Plus the environment is super team focused and supportive

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Any Willkie supporters want to explain why?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Full Disclosure: I summered at JD and absolutely loved it. The people were the perfect combination of impressive and friendly. Their name has gotten nothing but positive responses both in the major market circles as well as in my small hometown legal community. I don't know much about Wilkie so it's less of a comparison between the two than an endorsement of JD.


OP here: Did you summer in NYC? + shameless bump for the night crowd.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Full Disclosure: I summered at JD and absolutely loved it. The people were the perfect combination of impressive and friendly. Their name has gotten nothing but positive responses both in the major market circles as well as in my small hometown legal community. I don't know much about Wilkie so it's less of a comparison between the two than an endorsement of JD.


OP here: Did you summer in NYC? + shameless bump for the night crowd.


Nope. DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Full Disclosure: I summered at JD and absolutely loved it. The people were the perfect combination of impressive and friendly. Their name has gotten nothing but positive responses both in the major market circles as well as in my small hometown legal community. I don't know much about Wilkie so it's less of a comparison between the two than an endorsement of JD.


OP here: Did you summer in NYC? + shameless bump for the night crowd.


Nope. DC.


Any reason to think the atmosphere in New York would be much different? I really liked everyone I met and I think the only reason I'm even torn here is the people I met at Willkie were fun to talk to and seemed like they'd b fun to work with.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Full Disclosure: I summered at JD and absolutely loved it. The people were the perfect combination of impressive and friendly. Their name has gotten nothing but positive responses both in the major market circles as well as in my small hometown legal community. I don't know much about Wilkie so it's less of a comparison between the two than an endorsement of JD.


OP here: Did you summer in NYC? + shameless bump for the night crowd.


Nope. DC.


Any reason to think the atmosphere in New York would be much different? I really liked everyone I met and I think the only reason I'm even torn here is the people I met at Willkie were fun to talk to and seemed like they'd b fun to work with.


I'm the other poster who was with JD, and I was in NY. Everything said pretty much applies equally here. The firm is remarkably consistent among offices when it comes to maintaining a certain kind of environment and attitude.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm the other poster who was with JD, and I was in NY. Everything said pretty much applies equally here. The firm is remarkably consistent among offices when it comes to maintaining a certain kind of environment and attitude.


Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day (NYC0 or Willkie Farr (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Disclosure: I summered at Willkie and loved it.

Willkie attorneys are really awesome to work with. They're real people: down to earth and normal. A high percentage of my colleagues were people I'd be real life friends with, rather than just work friends. And the firm lives up to its social reputation.

The litigation department is solid, and works awesome cases. The firm represented LimeWire (http://www.willkie.com/firm/news_detail ... =330701505), and now it's representing Facebook (co-counsel with Kirkland) over the IPO. No one will push you to specialize early on - you take time to work different cases, just like at JD.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.