Splitting Summers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Splitting Summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:42 pm

I think I screwed up. I had callbacks with 2 firms that I would be very, very happy with.

Firm 1 (big international) offered very early and called several times a day for 2 weeks. They then contacted CSO, who reprimanded me for not accepting unless I would for certain accept with Firm 2 if/when they offered. After more pressure from the firm, I gave in and said that I would accept. I sent the letter not 2 hours ago, right before going to work.

10 minutes ago, firm 2 (local, extremely elite and competitive) gave me a call with an offer. I need to call them back after work. Is there any way I can turn this into a split summer? Firm 1, on NALP, says they don't split, and the acceptance I signed was for 8 weeks right in the middle of the summer.

I feel totally deflated. Just buyers remorse? I know there are worse things to complain about, but I feel like I let myself get played and I am just sick to my stomach. Will take any advice / insults / etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Will take any advice / insults / etc.


Sounds like you're well-acquanted with the TLS way.

But seriously, I had to negotiate a delicate split for this summer too. I am by no means an expert but can at least commiserate.

Unless you definitely would have taken Firm 2 INSTEAD of Firm 1 (which it doesn't sound like was necessarily the case) you haven't really screwed yourself. It is very possible that Firm 1 won't accommodate any split, but they might work with you some. Maybe they will let you move your eight weeks earlier or later or reduce to six or seven. The Firm 2 might be able to work around that. If both firms are inflexible, it probably wouldn't have been any better prior to your acceptance. Sure you could have used you singing on as the carrot in the negotiation but that card can't be played to hard ITE.

If you WOULD take Firm 2 instead of Firm 1, you aren't necessarily screwed either. My offer letter says that the student or the firm can terminate the arrangement at any point without notice, with or without cause. Might be the same for you.

Either way, I know these decisions are agonizing but having to choose which job >>>> not having a job.

Best of luck...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I screwed up. I had callbacks with 2 firms that I would be very, very happy with.

Firm 1 (big international) offered very early and called several times a day for 2 weeks. They then contacted CSO, who reprimanded me for not accepting unless I would for certain accept with Firm 2 if/when they offered. After more pressure from the firm, I gave in and said that I would accept. I sent the letter not 2 hours ago, right before going to work.

10 minutes ago, firm 2 (local, extremely elite and competitive) gave me a call with an offer. I need to call them back after work. Is there any way I can turn this into a split summer? Firm 1, on NALP, says they don't split, and the acceptance I signed was for 8 weeks right in the middle of the summer.

I feel totally deflated. Just buyers remorse? I know there are worse things to complain about, but I feel like I let myself get played and I am just sick to my stomach. Will take any advice / insults / etc.


doesn't look like there's a way. you've agreed to summer w/ Firm 1. they don't split... unless, you're willing to go to them and ask. ballsy, and risky too--then they're on notice you might be looking to jump ship after to Firm 2 or really Firm 1 competitor, and this decreases your chances at actually getting a job offer.

so short answer: don't be deflated. look forward to your summer w/ Firm 1, enjoy being employed w/ a firm you're happy about.

Pokemon
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby Pokemon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Big firms pressure you to accept their offer by calling you a few times a day. Now that is something...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Will take any advice / insults / etc.


Sounds like you're well-acquanted with the TLS way.

But seriously, I had to negotiate a delicate split for this summer too. I am by no means an expert but can at least commiserate.

Unless you definitely would have taken Firm 2 INSTEAD of Firm 1 (which it doesn't sound like was necessarily the case) you haven't really screwed yourself. It is very possible that Firm 1 won't accommodate any split, but they might work with you some. Maybe they will let you move your eight weeks earlier or later or reduce to six or seven. The Firm 2 might be able to work around that. If both firms are inflexible, it probably wouldn't have been any better prior to your acceptance. Sure you could have used you singing on as the carrot in the negotiation but that card can't be played to hard ITE.

If you WOULD take Firm 2 instead of Firm 1, you aren't necessarily screwed either. My offer letter says that the student or the firm can terminate the arrangement at any point without notice, with or without cause. Might be the same for you.

Either way, I know these decisions are agonizing but having to choose which job >>>> not having a job.

Best of luck...


I am this Anon.

The second person to respond has a valid point about putting Firm 1 on notice of your interest elsewhere but splitting would do that anyway.

Just because Firm 1 doesn't accommodate splits doesn't mean you can't work at two firms, it just means that you're locked into the eight weeks. Firm 2 might be flexible enough to let you do three weeks at the beginning and four at the end for example--which is definitely something you should ask Firm 2 about before you decline, especially if you can convincingly say, "oh no, I wish I had heard from you earlier, I already committed to work for these eight weeks at Firm 1 but you're my number one choice. Is there any way I could [work the available weeks]?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just because Firm 1 doesn't accommodate splits doesn't mean you can't work at two firms, it just means that you're locked into the eight weeks. Firm 2 might be flexible enough to let you do three weeks at the beginning and four at the end for example--which is definitely something you should ask Firm 2 about before you decline, especially if you can convincingly say, "oh no, I wish I had heard from you earlier, I already committed to work for these eight weeks at Firm 1 but you're my number one choice. Is there any way I could [work the available weeks]?"


OP here: This is what I was tempted to try asking. Nothing to lose, right? Has anyone ever heard of someone doing a summer this way? I know Firm 2 splits summers, and they do not give 100% offers, so I am sure many students who summer there like to have a back up plan.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: This is what I was tempted to try asking. Nothing to lose, right? Has anyone ever heard of someone doing a summer this way? I know Firm 2 splits summers, and they do not give 100% offers, so I am sure many students who summer there like to have a back up plan.


I know of people who have done it in small markets or in a big market after working at the firm 1L summer.

Nothing to lose. Honestly, if nothing else, part on good terms and then if you clerk or something try to spend the summer pre-clerkship at Firm 2 or reapply during the clerkship etc. Always better to give them the (honest) impression that you really wanted to be there.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:34 pm

That is a fucking douche move by the firm, especially contacting your CSO.

Would you actually prefer firm 2? If so then I might try to ask. But of course there are caveats that splitting probably won't make the first firm happy. Also if you really need extra time to make it work you can probably skip the first 1-2 weeks of 3L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Our CDO cautions against splitting, unless you worked at one of the firms during your 1L summer. You are far more likely to be no-offered if you split your 2L summer. Take that advice for what it's worth. If you're happy with Firm 1, just take the job...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:48 pm

OP here: I like both firms for completely different reasons. I am afraid (but not yet certain) that, for family/health reasons, I won't be able to stay in the city of these firms post-graduation. I think I would prefer to work in firm 1 long term for fit/personality reasons, but firm 2 would open a lot more doors if I end up having to move (lots of connections to judges, better clerkship potential, name recognition, etc.).

That said, I'm probably over thinking it. I will ask firm 2 if there is any way, given that I just accepted with firm 1 and can't move the dates, to still spend time with them this summer and see how it goes.

Thank you for the advice!

2014utLaw
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby 2014utLaw » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 pm

.
Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting Summers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Can we confirm that a firm called you multiple times a day pressuring you to accept, and called your CSO when you wouldn't? What did they say when they called you? What did your CSO say to you?

This is crazy




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.