Law firm choice. Please offer you opinion Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law firm choice. Please offer you opinion

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Alston Bird, Finnegan, Fish, Jones Day, and Weil. Loved all of them. All have very exciting IP work. Hard to decide. Please offer your opinion. Thank you in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Law firm choice. Please offer you opinion

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

All NY offices? I was at JD NY last summer, and they seemed to have a really great IP group. I did some copyright/TM stuff and really loved working with the folks in that group.

bullcitystylin

New

Post by bullcitystylin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:56 pm

I worked at Alston + Bird this past summer, although not in their NYC office. Great (southern) firm, fantastic people. I wasn't in their IP practice, but I know several who were, and they really enjoyed it.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:02 pm

I'd go with Weil. Decent IP group (it looks like you're into patent stuff, but either way, it's good), great people, fun summer, V10 prestige and business casual dress code. What more could you want? ;)

In all seriousness, Weil is awesome. Loved the people, loved the swag, loved the office. (Disclaimer, I'm a 2L and I haven't worked there. Just my impression from interviewing + friends + family friends who've all worked/work there).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 pm

piccolittle wrote:I'd go with Weil. Decent IP group (it looks like you're into patent stuff, but either way, it's good), great people, fun summer, V10 prestige and business casual dress code. What more could you want? ;)

In all seriousness, Weil is awesome. Loved the people, loved the swag, loved the office. (Disclaimer, I'm a 2L and I haven't worked there. Just my impression from interviewing + friends + family friends who've all worked/work there).
Do any firms not do bizcas?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Do any firms not do bizcas?
Cravath has somebody in HR who makes sure people don't wear the same tie two days in a row.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Fish because the name is less lame
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 pm

clintonius wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Do any firms not do bizcas?
Cravath has somebody in HR who makes sure people don't wear the same tie two days in a row.
I almost believe this

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Info comes from somebody who did a summer project internship there. Could be that it just applies to non-legal staff, but that would be kind of silly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
piccolittle wrote:I'd go with Weil. Decent IP group (it looks like you're into patent stuff, but either way, it's good), great people, fun summer, V10 prestige and business casual dress code. What more could you want? ;)

Do any firms not do bizcas?
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/its-the- ... ress-code/

No idea what their actual dress code is now, but that happened ^^

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:40 pm

I can strongly vouch for Weil. I have worked there. I don't know about the other firms but the Weil IP group is very strong and also a fun group of people to work with.

You will be working hard if you go there as a permanent associate, so keep that in mind. But I doubt it is any different at any other similar firm. The exit options seem to be very strong as well.

Also they had 100% offers the past summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:25 pm

If you are only interested in IP, go to either Finnegan or Fish. You can read about this post below to get more information.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... it=markman

Also it depends on your location preference. I personally would avoid any NYC firm just because the cost of living in NYC is much higher than other major cities. And you get paid the same but have to put in more hours. (<--lived in NYC for over 10 years).

http://www.nalp.org/buying_power_index_class_of_2010

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are only interested in IP, go to either Finnegan or Fish. You can read about this post below to get more information.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... it=markman

Also it depends on your location preference. I personally would avoid any NYC firm just because the cost of living in NYC is much higher than other major cities. And you get paid the same but have to put in more hours. (<--lived in NYC for over 10 years).

http://www.nalp.org/buying_power_index_class_of_2010
I think I read somewhere that mid/senior associates tend to make more in NYC, and/or tend to exist more in NYC, such that while you may start out with less expendable income, you eventually pass your peers in other markets. Is there any truth to this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”