Offer Extension to Look into Public Interest Opportunities

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
EijiMiyake

Offer Extension to Look into Public Interest Opportunities

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Has anyone emailed their SA firm to ask for an extension from the 11/1 NALP deadline to look into public interest opportunities? What did you say? Were you upfront that you wanted to take a public interest job?

The Duck

Re: Offer Extension to Look into Public Interest Opportunities

Postby The Duck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:59 pm

This sounds like a horrible idea. If you end up accepting, it'll be clear it was always your second choice.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:00 pm

The Duck wrote:This sounds like a horrible idea. If you end up accepting, it'll be clear it was always your second choice.

So? It is. Are they going to withdraw the offer?

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm

2014utLaw wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:
The Duck wrote:This sounds like a horrible idea. If you end up accepting, it'll be clear it was always your second choice.

Do what your heart tells you, just don't be surprised when you get questioned a lot over your summer and you get no-offered.

This is post-SA, for FT employment.

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:07 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:

They could. Or it could just affect your relationship with people in the firm. Or it could lead to you getting less desirable work. Or being first on the block if layoffs happen. Maybe they put you into a less desirable practice group because you're likely to leave quickly.

Who knows but none of the outcomes are positive.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:09 pm

The Duck wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:

They could. Or it could just affect your relationship with people in the firm. Or it could lead to you getting less desirable work. Or being first on the block if layoffs happen. Maybe they put you into a less desirable practice group because you're likely to leave quickly.

Doesn't NALP require them to hold it open past Nov 1 if you're seeking PI? Pretty sure it does.

I'm usually pretty conservative about firm relations, but if you start on time, come at it with a good attitude and work hard, I think it won't be too hard to make your firm forget about this.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:09 pm

The Duck wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:

So what does everyone that's applying to public interest jobs do? Decline without having an offer? Accept and reneg? Both of those seem worse.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:11 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:
The Duck wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:

So what does everyone that's applying to public interest jobs do? Decline without having an offer? Accept and reneg? Both of those seem worse.

Most people I know doing PI didn't SA with a firm so its not an issue.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:12 pm

IAFG wrote:
The Duck wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:

Doesn't NALP require them to hold it open past Nov 1 if you're seeking PI? Pretty sure it does.

I'm usually pretty conservative about firm relations, but if you start on time, come at it with a good attitude and work hard, I think it won't be too hard to make your firm forget about this.

They aren't required. It's "encouraged."

http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinciplesandstandards#Part_V._General_Standards wrote:B. Full-Time Employment Provisions

B. Full-Time Employment Provisions

1. Employers offering full-time positions to commence following graduation to candidates not previously employed by them should leave those offers open for at least 28 days following the date of the offer letter or until December 30, whichever comes first. Offers made after December 15 for full-time positions to commence following graduation should remain open for at least two weeks after the date of the offer letter.

2. Candidates may request that an employer extend the deadline to accept the employer’s offer until as late as April 1 if the candidate is actively pursuing positions with public interest or government organizations. Candidates may hold open only one offer in such circumstances. Employers are encouraged to grant such requests.

3. Employers offering full-time positions to commence following graduation to candidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open until at least November 1 of the candidate’s final year of law school. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty days from the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the 30 day period.

Given the order, it's also not clear it applies to firm's offering SAs.
Last edited by The Duck on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 pm

IAFG wrote:
The Duck wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure they will hold it open even if NALP didn't require it. I was just more curious about how to ask in a way that damages my relationship with them the least.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:16 pm

The Duck wrote:
They aren't required. It's "encouraged."

I stand corrected. Asking for it, and gauging the response, should help guide OP in his course of action. There are firms that I would imagine are more open to this sort of request than others.

As for how to ask, if they're going to be pissed, they're going to be pissed. Obviously you need to express that it's a hard choice.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:21 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure they will hold it open even if NALP didn't require it. I was just more curious about how to ask in a way that damages my relationship with them the least.

Don't mention the PI search, just ask if you could have a bit more time to discuss their offer with your family and/or significant other. Shouldn't be a problem esp. considering this is rather a significant life event.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 am

Bump.

Has anyone done this recently? Especially with the deadline moved up to Oct. 1, I'll have barely any time to consider PI options.

For what it's worth, it will likely not come as a complete shock to the firm that I'm considering public interest.

Return to “Legal Employment”