Baker & McKenzie? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Baker & McKenzie?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Wanted to see what the hivemind thinks about Baker. I'm interested in maximizing international exposure in my work, whether I end up going more transactional (projects, maybe) or possibly international arbitration (on the dispute resolution/litigation side). I have an offer there, for next summer, which could include spending some time at a foreign office.

Anyone want to talk some sense to me?

IAFG

Platinum

Re: Baker & McKenzie?

Post by IAFG » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:37 pm

This post is useless without alternatives.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wanted to see what the hivemind thinks about Baker. I'm interested in maximizing international exposure in my work, whether I end up going more transactional (projects, maybe) or possibly international arbitration (on the dispute resolution/litigation side). I have an offer there, for next summer, which could include spending some time at a foreign office.

Anyone want to talk some sense to me?
Which office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm

I accepted an offer with one of their offices in the south. I'm not interested in spending any time abroad next summer, but their transactional practice is involved in many large cross-boarder transactions that I found appealing.

But, as the poster above noted, it all depends on what other options you have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:40 pm

IAFG wrote:This post is useless without alternatives.
Fair enough. Also looking at Milbank, which, if I were totally sold on project finance, seems like it would be a no-brainer. But I'm not.

The offer is in NYC.

For what it's worth, I've found Baker and Milbank people to be really friendly and welcoming, and I could see myself in either office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:This post is useless without alternatives.
Fair enough. Also looking at Milbank, which, if I were totally sold on project finance, seems like it would be a no-brainer. But I'm not.

The offer is in NYC.

For what it's worth, I've found Baker and Milbank people to be really friendly and welcoming, and I could see myself in either office.
Congrats on both offers, these are both excellent firms! Milbank seems very well-regarded within the US and I've heard really good thing about the Milbank at Harvard program that associates can begin in the third year (http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/2011/02 ... rvard.html). It probably doesn't hurt to get Harvard on your resume long-term [I do not go to Harvard, fwiw]. Milbank is probably also the slightly higher regarded of the two in New York, if that's where you plan on being for say, at least the next 5-10 years.

That said though, I think if you really do have the desire to get international exposure/work on international deals, Baker might be the way to go. It is a franchise model, so people often do refer to it as a behemoth or whatever, but it's still very respected. They're strong in transactional work, but they also have a great international arbitration program (and are ranked 4 in international by Vault). The New York office is also surprisingly small for such a large firm, so you'd definitely be able to make a mark -- they take a very small summer class, and an added perk: they are moving to a new building this winter, so you'd be in really nice new digs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”