Cadwalader vs. Stroock

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cadwalader vs. Stroock

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Thoughts?

Don't want to be a partner, considering exit options/quality of life before I get out.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Cadwalader vs. Stroock

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:52 pm

I have a similar choice. Can anyone speak to quality of life at Stroock? Is it really different enough (mostly thinking in terms of billables) from any other BigLaw firm such that one should be tempted to take it over a firm like Cadwalader? Will one really get more substantive experience sufficient to overcome the prestige difference? What are exit options like from Stroock for both corp and lit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a similar choice. Can anyone speak to quality of life at Stroock? Is it really different enough (mostly thinking in terms of billables) from any other BigLaw firm such that one should be tempted to take it over a firm like Cadwalader? Will one really get more substantive experience sufficient to overcome the prestige difference? What are exit options like from Stroock for both corp and lit?

good stuff, any advice would be amazing, thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts?

Don't want to be a partner, considering exit options/quality of life before I get out.

Thanks.

Then go to Stroock, and I'm not just saying that as a guy waiting on Cadawalder.

They are the chillest people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Second anon rather than OP here, but I'm curious about that. I really liked everyone I met at Stroock, and they tended to come off a bit more positive to me about the firm than the people I met at Cadwalader. I'm just curious if that's really reflective of the day-by-day, and also whether exit options will be significantly different at one firm or the other depending upon department. TLS is so prestige-oriented that it's difficult to know whether, say, a 2nd or 3rd year corp or lit associate at Stroock would really have significantly different exit options. If anyone could speak to this, I'd be more than grateful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:04 am

Stroock--- by far and away... The work is interesting... but the people are just so awesome. Without a doubt, happiest people I saw in my callbacks. No comment on Cadwalader.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:55 am

I would say the opposite. I think the exit options are fair superior at Cadwalader than Stroock.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:19 am

Stroock is not a happy place. Neither is Cadwalader, but it's a much better firm, so you'll actually be able to leave for something more fitting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:37 am

Cadwalader is a much more marketable name than Stroock. It's known on a more national scale. If you're thinking about exit options, then Cadwalader is definitely going to be your choice. In terms of quality of life, I have friends at both places, and they seem as happy as biglaw will let you be so I'm not sure if one will give you a much different experience than the other.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:09 pm

any other thoughts ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Stroock associate here.

Stroock is absolutely a happy place. The hours can be long, but never unnecessarily so. Many partners will go out of their way to preserve your vacations, etc. It's also a smaller firm, so you are much less of a number.

Exit options are fine. I've known plenty of associates to trade up to higher vault-ranked firms, good in-house positions, etc. I'm always getting harassed by recruiters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:28 pm

New member of the thread here: deciding between Stroock and another firm too... can you talk a bit more about where people are going in house to/ what groups are good for the long term?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Stroock associate here.

Stroock is absolutely a happy place. The hours can be long, but never unnecessarily so. Many partners will go out of their way to preserve your vacations, etc. It's also a smaller firm, so you are much less of a number.

Exit options are fine. I've known plenty of associates to trade up to higher vault-ranked firms, good in-house positions, etc. I'm always getting harassed by recruiters.

Thanks so much for the feedback- question- can you speak to your average day hours-wise, and how they compare to the hours your friends in other firms work? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks very much for replying. Along the lines of above anon's "which groups are good?" question -- how much say did you/other associates have in choosing a group in general?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

I summered at CWT. Keep in mind that you will work long hours no matter which biglaw firm you choose. I would highly recommend that you avoid making your decision based on hours requirements. There are too many factors that can affect the number of hours you put in during a given year for you to accurately estimate something like this.

If you want better exit options, I think CWT is the clear choice (as someone who left the firm after several years, I can tell you that the exit options were quite good). I can't speak to the quality of exit options at Stroock, but I would imagine that they are limited in comparison to CWT.

Congratulations on having two very good choices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:13 am

Both seem like solid firms, though I would lean towards Cadwalader. Stroock seems like it may have less exit options and I did not like my interviewer as much at Stroock. Having worked at neither it is tough to gauge quality of life, though, for what its worth, Stroock scored at the bottom of the pack for associate satisfaction in the most recent American Lawyer survey. I do not think you can go wrong with this decision though.

Return to “Legal Employment”