Thank you gift for clerkship recommender?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank you gift for clerkship recommender?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:47 am

I had a recommender who really went above and beyond in terms of helping me secure a good clerkship. I've done work for them as an RA, but nonetheless I'm wondering if in this circumstance it's appropriate to get them some small token. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Thank you gift for clerkship recommender?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

How about something nice from your home state or where the clerkship will be? For instance, as a Californian, I like giving out good bottles of Napa Valley wines.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:59 am

I don't think it's necessary - it's part of what faculty do - but it's not inappropriate. The wine/local product idea is a good one, or nice chocolates, or coffee (say, in a nice mug), that kind of thing. But even just a card would probably be sufficient.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:29 pm

I had a professor call me into his office to return a thank you gift I had left with his secretary (or something along those lines). He said that his time at the DOJ made him very reserved about receiving any gifts, but he didn't suggest at all that it was inappropriate. I think you'd be fine to do it.

Return to “Legal Employment”