DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

WilmerHale DC or Patton Boggs DC?

WilmerHale (DC)
14
74%
Patton Boggs (DC)
5
26%
 
Total votes: 19

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 am

Pros and Cons for each from someone who knows the market better than I do?

I'm interested in Lit and Regulatory Law/Public Policy.

letsdoit
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby letsdoit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:15 am

Patton seems to maintain a reputation as a great place to work (culture, hours, etc) and has one of the best governmental affairs/public policy shops in the country. Wilmer probably has a better overall reputation (prefstigewise) though. Can't speak to lit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:23 am

letsdoit wrote:Patton seems to maintain a reputation as a great place to work (culture, hours, etc) and has one of the best governmental affairs/public policy shops in the country. Wilmer probably has a better overall reputation (prefstigewise) though. Can't speak to lit.


Thanks -- why do you think they have a better overall reputation?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:47 pm

They have a better overall reputation because they are higher ranked, have more people exiting and entering from the government, and the focus is on excellent and sophisticated legal work. Patton Boggs is more of a lobbying firm that has a corporate and litigation group on the side. In terms of exit options, unless you want to be a lobbyist, WilmerHale will definitely take you further.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
letsdoit wrote:Patton seems to maintain a reputation as a great place to work (culture, hours, etc) and has one of the best governmental affairs/public policy shops in the country. Wilmer probably has a better overall reputation (prefstigewise) though. Can't speak to lit.


Thanks -- why do you think they have a better overall reputation?


I am a recent grad and worked in DC over my 2L summer... My brief thoughts: WilmerHale has a vastly better reputation and does far higher quality work. Their practices are all around better than Patton Boggs, they typically compete with Cov, A&P, and GDC for associates, and they seem to get far more interesting cases. I really can't think of any reason to take Patton Boggs over Wilmer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They have a better overall reputation because they are higher ranked, have more people exiting and entering from the government, and the focus is on excellent and sophisticated legal work. Patton Boggs is more of a lobbying firm that has a corporate and litigation group on the side. In terms of exit options, unless you want to be a lobbyist, WilmerHale will definitely take you further.


Actually, this is complete bullshit. The majority of Patton Boggs revenues come from their litigation and regulatory work. The lobby shop just gets the headlines.

Honestly, I would pick Patton Boggs over WilmerHale just because I'd expect to get more experience earlier at Patton Boggs. While the data isn't up on NALP, my recollection is that Patton Boggs is has a less than 1:1 ratio partners:associates. WilmerHale (off of NALP) is closer to a 1:5 ratio.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, I would pick Patton Boggs over WilmerHale just because I'd expect to get more experience earlier at Patton Boggs. While the data isn't up on NALP, my recollection is that Patton Boggs is has a less than 1:1 ratio partners:associates. WilmerHale (off of NALP) is closer to a 1:5 ratio.


This is simply inaccurate. According to NALP, Wilmer has 108 partners and 224 associates in the DC office.

OP, for the reasons stated above, take Wilmer and don't look back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, I would pick Patton Boggs over WilmerHale just because I'd expect to get more experience earlier at Patton Boggs. While the data isn't up on NALP, my recollection is that Patton Boggs is has a less than 1:1 ratio partners:associates. WilmerHale (off of NALP) is closer to a 1:5 ratio.


This is simply inaccurate. According to NALP, Wilmer has 108 partners and 224 associates in the DC office.

OP, for the reasons stated above, take Wilmer and don't look back.


Sorry, I 1:5 is accurate for litigation. The area OP expressed interest.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They have a better overall reputation because they are higher ranked, have more people exiting and entering from the government, and the focus is on excellent and sophisticated legal work. Patton Boggs is more of a lobbying firm that has a corporate and litigation group on the side. In terms of exit options, unless you want to be a lobbyist, WilmerHale will definitely take you further.


Actually, this is complete bullshit. The majority of Patton Boggs revenues come from their litigation and regulatory work. The lobby shop just gets the headlines.

Honestly, I would pick Patton Boggs over WilmerHale just because I'd expect to get more experience earlier at Patton Boggs. While the data isn't up on NALP, my recollection is that Patton Boggs is has a less than 1:1 ratio partners:associates. WilmerHale (off of NALP) is closer to a 1:5 ratio.

So you would go to a much less well-regarded firm solely because of leverage?

OP, given the gap between these two firms in reputation, I think you'd need a specific, compelling reason to justify choosing Patton Boggs, and based on your asking this question at all it seems like you should take Wilmer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:07 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, I would pick Patton Boggs over WilmerHale just because I'd expect to get more experience earlier at Patton Boggs. While the data isn't up on NALP, my recollection is that Patton Boggs is has a less than 1:1 ratio partners:associates. WilmerHale (off of NALP) is closer to a 1:5 ratio.

So you would go to a much less well-regarded firm solely because of leverage?

OP, given the gap between these two firms in reputation, I think you'd need a specific, compelling reason to justify choosing Patton Boggs, and based on your asking this question at all it seems like you should take Wilmer.


I would.

Patton Boggs has a great reputation in DC. WilmerHale is a great firm. I'm not in any way putting the firm down. From the people I've talked to in litigation in Patton Boggs, most associates stay in the range of 5-6 years. I can't speak to the matter at WilmerHale, but highly leveraged firms don't often have that longevity. I'd like to be at a firm where I get good experience, enjoy the work, and have the opportunity to hang on for a while.

FWIW, I was dinged after my screening interview at Patton Boggs.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:29 am

but highly leveraged firms don't often have that longevity. I


If you're competent and have work to bill, you can last until at least year 5 at any firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:16 pm

If you want to do public policy/legislative work, go to Patton Boggs. If you want to do litigation or regulatory work, go to WilmerHale (especially lit). I personally would choose Patton Boggs because I think the Vault rankings are worthless for DC (for the most part) and Patton Boggs fits my interests a lot more.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC: WilmerHale vs. Patton Boggs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:50 pm

OP here.

I went with WilmerHale. Ended up choosing them because of a chat with a prestigious partner there, and because I'm unsure between Lit and Public Policy. I think both firms have good cultures, high impact in D.C., and do a large amount of important pro bono work. It was a difficult decision, hope it was the right one! Thanks for your thoughts.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.