Firm cancelled cb a half hour before it was to begin

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DevilDaze

Re: Firm cancelled cb a half hour before it was to begin

Postby DevilDaze » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:45 pm

i would really like to know the name of the firm. if anybody knows can you please pm me. thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:48 pm

DevilDaze wrote:i would really like to know the name of the firm. if anybody knows can you please pm me. thanks.

+1 all of the firms im waiting on have small classes

lawgrl21

Postby lawgrl21 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DevilDaze wrote:i would really like to know the name of the firm. if anybody knows can you please pm me. thanks.

+1 all of the firms im waiting on have small classes

edit - didn't mean to be anon

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Just because they told OP the class is filled, it does not necessarily also mean it is filled...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:51 pm

Pokemon wrote:Just because they told OP the class is filled, it does not necessarily also mean it is filled...

interesting... is it common to claim this but not have it be true? what other reason do you think they would have to bother calling him/her back but cancel?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Just because they told OP the class is filled, it does not necessarily also mean it is filled...

interesting... is it common to claim this but not have it be true? what other reason do you think they would have to bother calling him/her back but cancel?

Maybe I am just too pessimistic about this, but reading older threads from 2011, you hear of firms telling candidates that their class is filled only to later show up on the simplicity of some t-14. No real reason to tell OP this, other than trying to be nice about it from the firm's perspective. My one guess would be that someone forgot about this and then they scrambled... or something along those lines. Half an hour before, only one outstanding spot, and they still give callbacks seems to me bizarre. Add into the equation that they cancelled the previous callback OP had.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:58 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe I am just too pessimistic about this, but reading older threads from 2011, you hear of firms telling candidates that their class is filled only to later show up on the simplicity of some t-14. No real reason to tell OP this, other than trying to be nice about it from the firm's perspective. My one guess would be that someone forgot about this and then they scrambled... or something along those lines. Half an hour before, only one outstanding spot, and they still give callbacks seems to me bizarre. Add into the equation that they cancelled the previous callback OP had.

I got an offer at a firm after they told someone else they were done and cancelled their CB, so it happens. But they hadn't already paid for the other person to travel.

Edit: wait, yes they had. He just hadn't started the trip yet. Fuckin firms, man.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:03 am

hear of firms telling candidates that their class is filled only to later show up on the simplicity of some t-14

This doesn't mean it wasn't full when they said it was. Needs vary over time, especially when you're hiring two years in advance.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:16 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
hear of firms telling candidates that their class is filled only to later show up on the simplicity of some t-14

This doesn't mean it wasn't full when they said it was. Needs vary over time, especially when you're hiring two years in advance.

Discussing over things I do not know, and I am guessing, you also do not know. But variation over time from late September to October... maybe... I am not at a firm, but it does seem surprising.
My theory is that recruiters simply think this is a good way to say no to the candidate, classic "it is not you, it is us" situation, and we read too much into it about whether they actually mean that it is full or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 am

OP here, not sure why they would cancel on me w/o being full. I have very good grades in a T14, was invited on the cb within the hour after my screener, and had no other interaction with the firm other than to set up a time to interview, and confirm the morning of the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:35 am

The DB move would be to take too many SAs and then no offer some of them at the end of the summer. We as students are able to (and in some situations, are required) to cancel CBs. Firms should be able to cancel too. The unfortunate thing is that the CB was scheduled so late and appears to be OP's last shot at biglaw. Good luck, OP!

roguey

Postby roguey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:49 am

It seems like most people missed the fact that the firm is the reason his CB fell so much later. Had the firm not rescheduled him, he may have been in the running for an offer. This is baffling to me. Of course, life isn't fair, but shouldn't firms interview everyone and then decide who they want to make offers to? It seems really douchey to schedule CBs and then not wait until you've interviewed everyone to give out all your offers. What purpose does that serve? What if the firm passes up the best candidate ever because they weren't willing to wait three more days to extend offers? I'm not saying out or don't out. Rather, this method of choosing who will be with your firm for years to come seems awfully rash especially from a profession that prides itself on thoughtful analysis.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:56 am

I think the NALP guidelines actually request that firms and candidates not waste each other's time. So, if a firm knows they're not going to give an offer (for whatever reason), they shouldn't hold the interview, and if the candidate knows they wouldn't accept an offer (for whatever reason), they should turn down (or cancel) the interview. The timing really sucks, though.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:05 am

roguey wrote:It seems like most people missed the fact that the firm is the reason his CB fell so much later. Had the firm not rescheduled him, he may have been in the running for an offer. This is baffling to me. Of course, life isn't fair, but shouldn't firms interview everyone and then decide who they want to make offers to? It seems really douchey to schedule CBs and then not wait until you've interviewed everyone to give out all your offers. What purpose does that serve? What if the firm passes up the best candidate ever because they weren't willing to wait three more days to extend offers? I'm not saying out or don't out. Rather, this method of choosing who will be with your firm for years to come seems awfully rash especially from a profession that prides itself on thoughtful analysis.

Firms started CBs 3-4 weeks ago and are just wrapping up or even still going. If a firm really likes a candidate, it makes no sense for them to put the candidate on hold for 4 weeks while he decides to go somewhere else. They have to make offers to candidates they like early, and sometimes the yield works out poorly for those who are interviewing late.

It's just the reality, and it's why schools like Harvard keep trying to push up OCI dates. It's not fair to those who go to schools who do interviews later, but that's just the reality when you're recruiting season lasts 6 weeks

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:52 am

roguey wrote:It seems like most people missed the fact that the firm is the reason his CB fell so much later. Had the firm not rescheduled him, he may have been in the running for an offer. This is baffling to me. Of course, life isn't fair, but shouldn't firms interview everyone and then decide who they want to make offers to? It seems really douchey to schedule CBs and then not wait until you've interviewed everyone to give out all your offers. What purpose does that serve? What if the firm passes up the best candidate ever because they weren't willing to wait three more days to extend offers? I'm not saying out or don't out. Rather, this method of choosing who will be with your firm for years to come seems awfully rash especially from a profession that prides itself on thoughtful analysis.

Years to come? Even firms with small classes do not plan on most associates being there for years to come.

Also, I doubt the firm cancelled OP a half an hour before the callback unless it was true they were full. That doesn't mean that someone in their small class won't renege at some point. There are always threads here asking about reneging on an offer. at that point the form would go to simplicity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:44 pm

sorry to hear OP! was this a v100 firm?

Return to “Legal Employment”