Firm cancelled cb a half hour before it was to begin

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Machine Spirit

Re: Firm cancelled cb a half hour before it was to begin

Postby Machine Spirit » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14 pm

TTH wrote:
Gorki wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Absolutely no reason not to out the firm. If they're reading this forum, they already know who you are based on your op.

There is bit of a difference between asking if this is normal and giving relatively no clue as to the firm's identity, and outing the firm and instigating trash talk against them.

What are they gonna do? Not hire him more?

They'll call him back and say it was a mistake and that he's hired now, and then they'll fire him in the first week.

Postby 071816 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:16 pm

gaud wrote:
tim.janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:Out the firm.

lawgrl21

Postby lawgrl21 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:18 pm

pm the firm too please! thanks... also, sorry to hear. that sounds pretty miserable

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Absolutely no reason not to out the firm. If they're reading this forum, they already know who you are based on your op.

C'mon, bro. A little outing never hurt anyone. All the cool kids do it.

Gorki wrote:There is bit of a difference between asking if this is normal and giving relatively no clue as to the firm's identity, and outing the firm and instigating trash talk against them.

Nerd.

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:30 pm

tim.janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:41 pm

tim.janitor wrote:
tim.janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 pm

do you know how many summer associates the firm has? small class like 6-7 or more like 2?

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Umm, don't out the firm?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Why should OP post the name of this firm? They have already finished hiring. It just sounds like people want to know for gossiping about firms. OP gets no benefit from satisfying your curiosity. This may have happened at more than one firm in NYC this year.

I think they are being nice to not waste OPs time when they have finished filling the class. The timing sucks for OP but the people who interview first always have a better shot. This firm isn't the only one who hires the first people first.

They don't have to hold off making decisions until they interview everyone. They want to get offers out and finish their decisions too.

It sucks to be OP. I'm sorry this happened to him. I definitely agree with him that he has no reason to name them in this thread.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Umm, don't out the firm?

Substantiate.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 pm

sunynp wrote:Why should OP post the name of this firm? They have already finished hiring. It just sounds like people want to know for gossiping about firms. OP gets no benefit from satisfying your curiosity. This may have happened at more than one firm in NYC this year.

I think they are being nice to not waste OPs time when they have finished filling the class. The timing sucks for OP but the people who interview first always have a better shot. This firm isn't the only one who hires the first people first.

They don't have to hold off making decisions until they interview everyone. They want to get offers out and finish their decisions too.

It sucks to be OP. I'm sorry this happened to him. I definitely agree with him that he has no reason to name them in this thread.

There are a shitload of people still looking for jobs and a bunch of us on here have friends engaged in the process; why not give them a head's up so as to not waste their time crafting a targeted cover letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 pm

sunynp wrote:Why should OP post the name of this firm? They have already finished hiring. It just sounds like people want to know for gossiping about firms. OP gets no benefit from satisfying your curiosity. This may have happened at more than one firm in NYC this year.

Im guessing some people also want to know because they are waiting to hear from firms with really small class sizes or recently had callbacks with firms who told them they have outstanding offers that would affect whether they gave more offers and want to know for that reason

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Don't see the big deal here. I had a CB recently with a firm who I now know from a friend had already filled their class (firm with ~5 SAs). I honestly wish they had done this. It became clear halfway through the interview that I didn't have a shot in hell, and it makes sense now that I know why.

Making you go through 3-4 hours of interviews with people who already know they won't hire you sucks. It was sort of patronizing TBH.

And OP, don't out the firm just because TLS wants you to. The legal field is small and you have nothing to gain from this

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 pm

RJ127 wrote:There are a shitload of people still looking for jobs and a bunch of us on here have friends engaged in the process; why not give them a head's up so as to not waste their time crafting a targeted cover letter?

Lol this is a weak ass excuse. People here just want to gossip, not save their friends the 5 mins it takes to do a cover letter.

I agree with Fresh Prince that he doesn't owe the firm shit. Similarly I agree with sunynp that he doesn't owe TLSers shit either. Outing the firm won't help anyone. The firm didn't even do something that bad. If OP doesn't want to out them then he shouldn't succumb to TLS peer pressure.

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:34 pm

RPK34 wrote:And OP, don't out the firm just because TLS wants you to.

Couldn't agree more. Don't out the firm just because TLS wants you to. Do it because it's the right thing to do. It's moral and stuff.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:35 pm

What I do not like about this is that it was literally half an hour before the interview started. I understand that they might have a small class etc, but do they not have people waiting on their CBs? If they have 3 out of 4 spots filled, and waiting for 4 to accept, then there is no need to schedule new call backs...
This to me sounds more like half an hour before interview, someone's calendar sent a notice and they had completely forgotten about it. One day before or something along those lines would make more sense. Considering the student might have traveled etc, the having forgotten part (which is an assumption), not the cancellation, is a crappy thing to do.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:35 pm

bk1 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:There are a shitload of people still looking for jobs and a bunch of us on here have friends engaged in the process; why not give them a head's up so as to not waste their time crafting a targeted cover letter?

Lol this is a weak ass excuse. People here just want to gossip, not save their friends the 5 mins it takes to do a cover letter.

I agree with Fresh Prince that he doesn't owe the firm shit. Similarly I agree with sunynp that he doesn't owe TLSers shit either. Outing the firm won't help anyone. The firm didn't even do something that bad. If OP doesn't want to out them then he shouldn't succumb to TLS peer pressure.

Risk-reward cuts heavily for the reward, dawg. It's not a sin to say a firm that cancelled an interview...cancelled an interview. People won't waste their time on this firm if they know they are done interviewing, and threads like this get mad viewers. Not seeing the detriment here. The firm didn't do something shady, so I'm not sure what people would get gossipy about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Pokemon wrote:What I do not like about this is that it was literally half an hour before the interview started. I understand that they might have a small class etc, but do they not have people waiting on their CBs? If they have 3 out of 4 spots filled, and waiting for 4 to accept, then there is no need to schedule new call backs...
This to me sounds more like half an hour before interview, someone's calendar sent a notice and they had completely forgotten about it. One day before or something along those lines would make more sense. Considering the student might have traveled etc, the having forgotten part (which is an assumption), not the cancellation, is a crappy thing to do.

im hoping they they still paid for your travel ect. were you from out of town? sry OP! I do think at least some people ( maybe not the majority) are nervous that they are waiting to hear from that firm and that is why they ask- at least the people who asked you to PM them

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:40 pm

People ITT clearly think the firm did something bad, or at least gossip worthy. People are saving a miniscule amount of time that I seriously don't give a fuck. I doubt this info would be the difference between someone getting an offer or not. And because of that I see no reason to browbeat OP.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 pm

bk1 wrote:People ITT clearly think the firm did something bad, or at least gossip worthy. People are saving a miniscule amount of time that I seriously don't give a fuck. I doubt this info would be the difference between someone getting an offer or not. And because of that I see no reason to browbeat OP.

There's only been a few people who have verbally said anything negative about Firm X's action; most people are just curious but it's ultimately your call to make. It has no bearing on me personally so there's no need to justify my point further.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:49 pm

I wonder what folks would think if this wasn’t about cancelling a CB, but rather about pulling an offer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wonder what folks would think if this wasn’t about cancelling a CB, but rather about pulling an offer.

This comment is so dumb I don't even know how to respond.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:14 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wonder what folks would think if this wasn’t about cancelling a CB, but rather about pulling an offer.

This comment is so dumb I don't even know how to respond.

Could out theanon for stupidity. Though really a cancelled interview and a revoked offer are not even in the same universe in terms of douchebaggery or all around bad treatment. A cancelled cb sucks but basically saves everyone a wasted afternoon (I had a cb that seemed to e a waste as if all the offers/hiring were over and it was miserable though I got a free lunch) whereas a revoed offer could essentially ruin someone's career if e withdrew from other firms.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:22 pm

Sucks, but I had a callback where I sat through like 8 interviews, spent the better part of the day with the firm, and looking back there were signs they had already decided on someone else (or filled their class). There were a number of things said that tended to indicate this; i.e. I have the strong impression that no matter how well I interviewed I wasn't getting the slot. I think it was largely because of the timing of the CB (most other people were completed previously).

So, I would have been pissed by the sudden cancellation, and I do think that is TTT planning, but bottom line is they may have saved you some time and effort instead of disingenuously letting you go through more interview motions. At least make sure they pay all your travel expenses, food, etc for the trip. Maybe tell CSO too that they did this so there is a record of it.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 pm

What does the OP have to gain if he outs the firm.

On another note, is it really established that the firm's action was DBaggery? I would have appreciated a firm doing that for me.

Return to “Legal Employment”