Firm cancelled cb a half hour before it was to begin Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm cancelled cb a half hour before it was to begin

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Well looks like I'm screwed. Had a scheduled cb, which was my last interview at a big firm, and the firm called a half hour in advance to cancel. Apparently someone had accepted an offer and filled the last spot five minutes before they called me. They expressed regret that I could not come in earlier and grab the spot myself - one problem, I was supposed to come in earlier, but they postponed my last scheduled cb because of a partnership meeting.

Is this normal? Don't firms typically hold some spots open if they have not completed all their callbacks? It seems to me that this firm was acting particularly pricky, but I may just be pissed because I got screwed.

Anyway good luck to all else awaiting good news, I for one have lost hope.

ph14

Gold

Re: Firm cancelled cb a half hour before it was to begin

Post by ph14 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well looks like I'm screwed. Had a scheduled cb, which was my last interview at a big firm, and the firm called a half hour in advance to cancel. Apparently someone had accepted an offer and filled the last spot five minutes before they called me. They expressed regret that I could not come in earlier and grab the spot myself - one problem, I was supposed to come in earlier, but they postponed my last scheduled cb because of a partnership meeting.

Is this normal? Don't firms typically hold some spots open if they have not completed all their callbacks? It seems to me that this firm was acting particularly pricky, but I may just be pissed because I got screwed.

Anyway good luck to all else awaiting good news, I for one have lost hope.
That's pretty TTT of the firm. Please say you are at least in the same city as them and you didn't have to travel. Out the firm.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Now, that is a firm to avoid. It really shows how little they care about their image and their associates.
First of all they are lying. All firms, even the very top have to give extra offers since more than half will not accept their offers.
If they really were down to filling one spot, not only would they know that there are outstanding offers, but they would also know that there are people waiting from their CBs. Those people would be the ones to reach, rather than you.
If they were surprisingly being oversubscribed, then there would be no need for more CBs to go out.

In the little possibility that they are not lying, then I do not know. Better to give you a chance and false hope, or better to just tell you upfront.
Good luck OP.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:01 pm

ph14 wrote:Out the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tim.janitor

New

Post by tim.janitor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:13 pm

tim.janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Out the firm.

Sorry to hear about it though. Keep mailing firms, talk to OCS, follow up with firms that haven't gotten back to you. But really, set a mass mail target for yourself every week. You're in a particular window where recruiters/decision makers truly check and evaluate all their applications. And you have plenty of time. Depending on your market, this goes on until late November, possibly longer. The sooner the better though with the mailing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:16 pm

gaud wrote:
tim.janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm concerned about outing the firm, it is a NY office of an out of state firm with a small summer class. I worry that if I identify them, someone may be able to figure out who I am.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tim.janitor

New

Post by tim.janitor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:18 pm

PM me please

and thank you

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm concerned about outing the firm, it is a NY office of an out of state firm with a small summer class. I worry that if I identify them, someone may be able to figure out who I am.
I understand, but they did cancel your CB. It's not like they're going to call you back and re-schedule because you didn't blab their name on TLS.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Pokemon wrote:Now, that is a firm to avoid. It really shows how little they care about their image and their associates.
First of all they are lying. All firms, even the very top have to give extra offers since more than half will not accept their offers.
If they really were down to filling one spot, not only would they know that there are outstanding offers, but they would also know that there are people waiting from their CBs. Those people would be the ones to reach, rather than you.
If they were surprisingly being oversubscribed, then there would be no need for more CBs to go out.

In the little possibility that they are not lying, then I do not know. Better to give you a chance and false hope, or better to just tell you upfront.
Good luck OP.
All this goes out the window of the firm only has a class of like 4.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 pm

I just accepted my NYC offer today. Curious if this is the same firm. Out!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mvpforme

Bronze

Post by mvpforme » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm

PM me please

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm

shock259 wrote:I just accepted my NYC offer today. Curious if this is the same firm. Out!
What time did you accept?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:33 pm

OP: PM me and I'll tell you what firm it is. I really doubt this is the same firm, though.

But just for kicks, I got an email receipt of my acceptance at about 1:30. Not sure when it was actually received.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 pm

Pokemon wrote:Now, that is a firm to avoid. It really shows how little they care about their image and their associates.

Good luck OP.
This ain't right.

Firms use historical data of past CBs --> offers --> acceptances to make predictions on what to expect with respect to the upcoming summer class. If they anticipate a 60% return on offers --> acceptances and an earlier wave of candidates meets that quota prematurely, many firms will put a freeze on offer extensions and might cancel upcoming callbacks. They don't have to give extra offers.

It's a shitty situation, but you gotta let this one go and continue to apply.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:42 pm

I can totally see this being an honest gesture on their part. Better to tell you up front than make you go through the whole callback knowing they don't have a spot for you.

Small firms with summer classes of 3-5 people don't just give out a bunch of offers and depend on yield statistics to hit their target class size. They carefully manage the applicant pool because it'd be very easy for them to overshoot their target class otherwise.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Absolutely no reason not to out the firm. If they're reading this forum, they already know who you are based on your op.

tim.janitor

New

Post by tim.janitor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Absolutely no reason not to out the firm. If they're reading this forum, they already know who you are based on your op.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Absolutely no reason not to out the firm. If they're reading this forum, they already know who you are based on your op.
Yup yup yup.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:49 pm

There is bit of a difference between asking if this is normal and giving relatively no clue as to the firm's identity, and outing the firm and instigating trash talk against them.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Gorki wrote:
There is bit of a difference between asking if this is normal and giving relatively no clue as to the firm's identity, and outing the firm and instigating trash talk against them.
What are they gonna do? Not hire him more?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 pm

TTH wrote:
Gorki wrote:
What are they gonna do? Not hire him more?
Yep.

And it's not trash talk if its true. Firm just showed OP it owes him nothing. OP should understand that's a two way street.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”