Cravath

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cravath

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:17 pm

I was wondering if people could speak to Cravath in general...I've seen them on other threads as places to avoid (because of culture), while other people say it's not that bad and is exaggerated. Can anyone actually hash this out? I am going there next summer, which is why this is anonymous, and would love to hear a little bit more about it...more then just hearsay, which seems to be the bulk of the information about them on here.

I am not just talking about hours, but obviously that is a factor of "culture."

Anonymous User

Re: Cravath

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering if people could speak to Cravath in general...I've seen them on other threads as places to avoid (because of culture), while other people say it's not that bad and is exaggerated. Can anyone actually hash this out? I am going there next summer, which is why this is anonymous, and would love to hear a little bit more about it...more then just hearsay, which seems to be the bulk of the information about them on here.

The guy who took me out to lunch during CB wore a bow tie and a 3-piece suit and spent ~75% of the "lunch" away on his phone. Take that for what you will.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering if people could speak to Cravath in general...I've seen them on other threads as places to avoid (because of culture), while other people say it's not that bad and is exaggerated. Can anyone actually hash this out? I am going there next summer, which is why this is anonymous, and would love to hear a little bit more about it...more then just hearsay, which seems to be the bulk of the information about them on here.

The guy who took me out to lunch during CB wore a bow tie and a 3-piece suit and spent ~75% of the "lunch" away on his phone. Take that for what you will.

JSZ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

JSZ?

lolno. I guess there's more than one of those dudes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:43 pm

My sense is that it's hit or miss. There are definitely some good people there, and people coming out of their summers seemed to like it, but I've heard some rough stories. Personally, I liked most of the people I met during my CB and second look (went with S&C though). One interviewer seemed especially frazzled, though that's not terribly unusual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:28 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Does anyone know if they hold any candidates post-CB, maybe in case their yield is low? I'm still in limbo which I had assumed means a ding, but my friends got rejections faster...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:46 pm

A partner at my firm came over from Cravath (where he had made partner). He said he didn't like it much at all there, and that the environment is not something he would recommend to law students, though he of course admits that the prestige is essentially unmatched, but he wasn't sure whether the costs of that justify the choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A partner at my firm came over from Cravath (where he had made partner). He said he didn't like it much at all there, and that the environment is not something he would recommend to law students, though he of course admits that the prestige is essentially unmatched, but he wasn't sure whether the costs of that justify the choice.

What did he say was wrong with the environment for him to have those feelings?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A partner at my firm came over from Cravath (where he had made partner). He said he didn't like it much at all there, and that the environment is not something he would recommend to law students, though he of course admits that the prestige is essentially unmatched, but he wasn't sure whether the costs of that justify the choice.

What did he say was wrong with the environment for him to have those feelings?

I didn't really go into specifics, since I was just curious about what led him to lateral from Cravath to our firm. He said he was fed up with the individualistic attitudes and egos, and he said that the sheer stress of that firm environment just didn't justify his lack of personal well-being. In other words, I think he was just burnt out from it for a long time and wanted a change.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Having to spend lunch on the phone is not out of the ordinary for a big law associate. Sometimes you gotta take care of something.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:00 pm

OP, could you PM me?

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Heh, if you want the sunshine and daisies look at Cravath, check out some of the links in this Dealbook posting.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/ ... f-big-law/

Specifically- http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/ ... ing-times/

and- http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/ ... secondary/

The second one is written by some guy who worked there in the 70's. I laughed at it.

avb87

Postby avb87 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 pm

NinerFan wrote:Heh, if you want the sunshine and daisies look at Cravath, check out some of the links in this Dealbook posting.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/ ... f-big-law/

Specifically- http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/ ... ing-times/

and- http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/ ... secondary/

The second one is written by some guy who worked there in the 70's. I laughed at it.

I saw that this morning. I was very surprised to see someone compare Cravath's culture to Debevoise and Cleary. I've only heard that they are nothing alike.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Former associate I interviewed with after they transferred to another (non-NYC) firm:

"During the heavy months, there would be times when I genuinely had no idea what my spouse was up to that month, so we'd have to catch up when I finally had time."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:53 pm

To the person speaking about "stress" what makes them any more stressful than another big firm?

Return to “Legal Employment”