Latham Houston

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Latham Houston

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Can I get some thoughts on this office, especially in comparison to the Big 3. Culture (what is it?), work hours (any word on avg billable hours for associates), are associates really treated badly, etc. Interested in Transactional, and want to stay in Texas long term.

Anonymous User

Re: Latham Houston

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Bumping this thread, also not OP, so if OP has gotten any information, would love to hear it. Curious how this compares in corporate work to V&E in Houston in particular. I know the pay scale is the same since V&E moved up to NY scale. Partnership chances?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Just want to dispel the notion that LW's main competition in Houston is "the big 3". That is really outdated. In Houston, if you want to do transactional work, you should be looking at VE, AK, Bracewell, Latham or Sidley as the top tier. BB, LL, and Fulbright a step below (BB clearly has better work than the other two in this category, but I would argue that its culture brings it down substantially and its corporate work in Houston lately has been a cut below the first tier I mentioned above). Then would be a bunch of places like TK, HayBoo, Akin Gump, Weil, Jones Day, Porter Hedges and King & Spalding.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just want to dispel the notion that LW's main competition in Houston is "the big 3". That is really outdated. In Houston, if you want to do transactional work, you should be looking at VE, AK, Bracewell, Latham or Sidley as the top tier. BB, LL, and Fulbright a step below (BB clearly has better work than the other two in this category, but I would argue that its culture brings it down substantially and its corporate work in Houston lately has been a cut below the first tier I mentioned above). Then would be a bunch of places like TK, HayBoo, Akin Gump, Weil, Jones Day, Porter Hedges and King & Spalding.

Where do you get this from? I guess I just havent heard this. Like, AK/BG>BB/FJ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just want to dispel the notion that LW's main competition in Houston is "the big 3". That is really outdated. In Houston, if you want to do transactional work, you should be looking at VE, AK, Bracewell, Latham or Sidley as the top tier. BB, LL, and Fulbright a step below (BB clearly has better work than the other two in this category, but I would argue that its culture brings it down substantially and its corporate work in Houston lately has been a cut below the first tier I mentioned above). Then would be a bunch of places like TK, HayBoo, Akin Gump, Weil, Jones Day, Porter Hedges and King & Spalding.

Where do you get this from? I guess I just havent heard this. Like, AK/BG>BB/FJ?

Look at all the m&a league tables. Its been evident for a while now. BB is arguably closer to AK/BG than it is to Fulbright in terms of work, though, but like previously mentioned - it is a miserable place to work.

If I was going to Houston, and I was going just by transactional work quality, I would rank something close to as follows:

VE/LW > AK/BG/Sidley > BB > FJ/LL/AG/Skadden/JD > TK/Weil/KS > PH > Winstead/Gardere

My preference of places to work would be very similar, but I might actually put AK/BG tied with the first tier because of personality and partnership prospects.

Also, keep in mind that the above takes office size into account - Sidley/Skadden/Akin might not appear in the league tables (or might appear much lower than FJ/LL) since they're smaller offices but they still have good work.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Postby 005618502 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 pm

So I saw one of the posts and decided to look at the Skadden Houston page.... Kind of weird, they have associates who graduated from law school like 15-20 years ago.... what is the deal there?

Return to “Legal Employment”