"So why are you coming to us now?"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"So why are you coming to us now?"

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:54 pm

please don't quote original post

I had OCI, bid for all firms in major market for my school (one of NY/Chi/LA), and struck out. This Tuesday I have a callback with a firm in my home market (small, secondary) that I just contacted early last week.

I have an answer for "Why this market?" (I grew up here, genuinely love the city, I went to UG here, family, sports team, etc.)

But what about an answer to "Why did you wait until mid-semptember to apply?"

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: "So why are you coming to us now?"

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:please don't quote original post

I had OCI, bid for all firms in major market for my school (one of NY/Chi/LA), and struck out. This Tuesday I have a callback with a firm in my home market (small, secondary) that I just contacted early last week.

I have an answer for "Why this market?" (I grew up here, genuinely love the city, I went to UG here, family, sports team, etc.)

But what about an answer to "Why did you wait until mid-semptember to apply?"

Thanks.

Alot of people don't mail until they strike out, I think its less of a thing than you think it is. I don't think they will ask that, likely what other markets + why this one.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:But what about an answer to "Why did you wait until mid-semptember to apply?"Thanks.

I think it's unlikely that anyone will ask you this question. But if someone does ask you this, I would just tell them the truth. You, along with most others in your class, applied to firms in your school's major-market city. Now you're looking at smaller firms in smaller markets, and you'd especially like to work at such a firm in your home state for the reasons you stated in your post. Whether you say this or not, your interviewers are going to know it's true. They're aware of the timing of the big-law hiring process.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Yeah I highly doubt this is an issue.

Also, there are probably hundreds or even thousands of law students in a similar situation to the one you're in now, and you're anon. No need to stress about a firm figuring out who you are.

Return to “Legal Employment”