Quick "secondary market" mass mail question.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Quick "secondary market" mass mail question.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I had a hard time finding anything via the forum search.

I'm a Fordham student, good grades but having difficulty with OCI. I've been in NYC for a while but my "secondary market" is Pittsburgh. I don't particularly want to live in Pittsburgh--my friends are here, my SO is here, all my shit's here, etc.

But, obviously, I want a job. Would taking a SA position in P-burgh or anywhere else (I would legit work anywhere for one summer if it'd make me some money and open doors for me), be a death sentence to that particular area? Would I be able to get back to NYC at the end? Surely a secondary market SA gig would look better in terms of 3L OCI, right?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Quick "secondary market" mass mail question.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:12 pm

edited for you
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Go to your secondary market, and think about everything else later. It is possible to lateral to NYC, it is just not going to ever be a high ranked vault firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Go to your secondary market, and think about everything else later. It is possible to lateral to NYC, it is just not going to ever be a high ranked vault firm.

Right, but to lateral in wouldn't I have to work like 3 years in the secondary market? I'm talking about doing one summer in a second market and then getting back to NYC, if possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Of course its possible. Just have a good reason prepared for why you did it. You may have issues getting back to NY but I would venture a guess that an SA, even in secondary market, can be a good thing for 3L OCI if you can explain that you are committing to NY long term.

Return to “Legal Employment”