Goodwin or Ropes (Boston)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Goodwin or Ropes (Boston)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Thoughts on both and making a choice between the two?

Anonymous User

Re: Goodwin or Ropes (Boston)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:35 pm

my friend's brother worked at ropes in boston for several years out of law school and he was pretty miserable and left after a few years. i don't know his specific issues, just that the hours were awful and he was unhappy at work, like he felt his extra effort was never appreciated and he was constantly under pressure. that may just be the biglaw experience though. he liked his coworkers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:45 pm

OP needs to tell us his/her priorities. Consensus seems to be that Ropes is better in terms of training and getting experience. But I've also heard from at least 2 people now that Ropes may be a bit more mercenary in cutting people when times get tough.

OP may also need to assess if they liked one set of people more than the other (which should really be the decisive factor between these two firms in Boston).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP needs to tell us his/her priorities. Consensus seems to be that Ropes is better in terms of training and getting experience. But I've also heard from at least 2 people now that Ropes may be a bit more mercenary in cutting people when times get tough.

OP may also need to assess if they liked one set of people more than the other (which should really be the decisive factor between these two firms in Boston).

There's no "consensus" over which firm is better between two options like this. It depends on which practice area(s) OP is interested in. Real estate or emerging company stuff, Goodwin is better. PE, Ropes is better. OP should say which practice areas he/she wants. Besides, both firms have, and will in the future, cut headcount if need be.

Agree that in many cases the answer will come down to fit, absent a clear practice area preference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:48 pm

I assume you've seen the last couple of pages on the BU/BC thread?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Ask away about the Ropes SA experience - I am more than happy to answer about what my summer was like at the Boston office, and why I am choosing to return.

Return to “Legal Employment”