Paul Hastings NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paul Hastings NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:47 pm

I can't help it, I'm bananas over getting this offer today. I was so awkward on the phone.

ITT discuss Paul Hastings NYC? Any associates there on here, even just SA's? I'm really impressed with their high ratings/rankings in hours and "best to work for" etc. Should any of that be believed?

Anonymous User

Re: Paul Hastings NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can't help it, I'm bananas over getting this offer today. I was so awkward on the phone.

ITT discuss Paul Hastings NYC? Any associates there on here, even just SA's? I'm really impressed with their high ratings/rankings in hours and "best to work for" etc. Should any of that be believed?

No. The hours are brutal there like anywhere else. I summered in West Coast office and attorneys were working 65+ hour weeks.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can't help it, I'm bananas over getting this offer today. I was so awkward on the phone.

No. The hours are brutal there like anywhere else. I summered in West Coast office and attorneys were working 65+ hour weeks.

65 hours isn't brutal. There are firms and practice groups that will demand considerably more of a first year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:30 am

When asked if there were any screamer partners, I was told "well, they're under a lot of pressure, and it's kinda nice that they take the time to give you feedback instead of just choosing not to work with you again. you get used to certain people's personalities" during a callback by a mid level associate.

Good luck with the screamers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:43 pm

OP here.

65 hours per week I would classify as quite reasonable for this level of work and pay.

With respect to "screamers," they can yell all they want, that doesn't bother me. I have thick skin.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Is your user name PaulHastingsShill? Can't tell because of unnecessary anon

Anyway, PH no offered several people this year, something to keep in mind. From what I have heard, it is no better or worse a place to work than most places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:08 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:

Is your user name PaulHastingsShill? Can't tell because of unnecessary anon

Anyway, PH no offered several people this year, something to keep in mind. From what I have heard, it is no better or worse a place to work than most places.

NYC class size is 17, and I don't know how many they offered yesterday, so I am staying anon.

Were there no-offers in NYC? These things can vary a lot between offices depending on how strong the legal market is in that office. From what I understand NYC has recovered the best from the crash.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:13 pm

The no offers I specifically remember were in CA, but some people just said they were no offered by PH and didn't specify which office. The point is that, as a firm, they are willing to no offer. On the one hand, a firm that no offers is not necessarily a bad thing if they are only no offering people who didn't cut it. The problem is that (1) we never know whether that is actually the reason and (2) sometimes people have really bad luck and end up with a picky partner on a near-impossible assignment, and they get a terrible review, which the firm interprets at not cutting it. To protect against that risk, it is nice to go to a firm that historically offers 100%.

Is PH your only offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:15 pm

OP here again, no not a "shill." Just someone who went to LS specifically wanting the prestige and money of biglaw. I didn't "win" LS but also did not get median pwnd, so OCI was a grinding gauntlet. I nailed the PH interview and got a better "feeling" there than anywhere else I interviewed, whatever that's worth. Also associates opinions on Vault (as reflected in the rankings) seem relevant, and they seem to think PH does well in "hours," "best to work for," and "satisfaction."

I'm just excited, maybe a little starry eyed or whatever, but I'm happy. I'm not from NY so this is a big decision for me. I also have an SO who has started a career here, so she would have to find a job in NY. This is a major life decision for me.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Congrats on the offer. I am not trying to be super negative, just responding to your seeming over optimism in the first post. It is good to seek more information. Good luck on your decision!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:17 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:The no offers I specifically remember were in CA, but some people just said they were no offered by PH and didn't specify which office. The point is that, as a firm, they are willing to no offer. On the one hand, a firm that no offers is not necessarily a bad thing if they are only no offering people who didn't cut it. The problem is that (1) we never know whether that is actually the reason and (2) sometimes people have really bad luck and end up with a picky partner on a near-impossible assignment, and they get a terrible review, which the firm interprets at not cutting it. To protect against that risk, it is nice to go to a firm that historically offers 100%.

Is PH your only offer?

OP here. PH is my only vault offer. I am waiting to hear from one market-paying boutique in the region I go to school and additionally one near-market-paying boutique in the region. The latter has told me they have 2 spots and 2 outstanding offers. The former I will be calling on Monday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks somewhat, appreciate your input.

If I could please hear from anyone who:

1) Was no-offered in NYC. I understand that, in 2009, there were probably a substantial number as there were at almost every firm except the most elite. Anyone from 2010-2012 would be really helpful though.

2) Was offered in NYC despite making some mistake(s).

3) Knows someone who was no-offered in NYC and knows that the no-offered person majorly f'd up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks somewhat, appreciate your input.

If I could please hear from anyone who:

1) Was no-offered in NYC. I understand that, in 2009, there were probably a substantial number as there were at almost every firm except the most elite. Anyone from 2010-2012 would be really helpful though.

2) Was offered in NYC despite making some mistake(s).

3) Knows someone who was no-offered in NYC and knows that the no-offered person majorly f'd up.

plz help, anyone who has SA'd at PH NYC.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:12 am

I think you are asking very specific questions that people may not want to answer even anonymously. If you loved this firm just go there and give it your best shot. No one can guarantee anything right now.

You don't have to start planning your whole future in NYC, just go for the summer and do the best you can.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:19 pm

sunynp wrote:I think you are asking very specific questions that people may not want to answer even anonymously. If you loved this firm just go there and give it your best shot. No one can guarantee anything right now.

You don't have to start planning your whole future in NYC, just go for the summer and do the best you can.

How big of a deal is it to SA and then not accept an offer? What if I SA'd then switched to a 4 year PT plan and did OCI again? Is that "dishonest?"

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:53 pm

I am not sure about SAing and then switching to a part-time plan and doing OCI again. I don't think it is dishonest since people sometimes SA at one firm and then go through OCI as a 3L and switch to a different firm (note: you can't rely on getting an offer as a 3L, though, because very few firms are looking for 3Ls, but it does happen from time-to-time). However, I think if you do two years full-time and then switch to part-time, you won't qualify to do OCI again because you will have too many credits (depends on the school so you would need to check). I think you would need to switch to part-time this year.

Also, sunyup is probably right that people don't want to answer your questions a few posts up, but I am pasting a link below to the thread in which people talked about PH no offers. Search the thread for 'paul hastings' or 'PH' to see what people were saying: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=190792

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:11 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:I am not sure about SAing and then switching to a part-time plan and doing OCI again. I don't think it is dishonest since people sometimes SA at one firm and then go through OCI as a 3L and switch to a different firm (note: you can't rely on getting an offer as a 3L, though, because very few firms are looking for 3Ls, but it does happen from time-to-time). However, I think if you do two years full-time and then switch to part-time, you won't qualify to do OCI again because you will have too many credits (depends on the school so you would need to check). I think you would need to switch to part-time this year.

Also, sunyup is probably right that people don't want to answer your questions a few posts up, but I am pasting a link below to the thread in which people talked about PH no offers. Search the thread for 'paul hastings' or 'PH' to see what people were saying: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=190792

Thanks for the link. Looks like all the confirmed no-offers were in CA. According to NALP there were 5 no-offers out of 69 SA's. http://employers.nalpdirectory.org/empl ... hCondJSON={%22SearchEmployerName%22%3A%22paul%20hastings%22}.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Here is an easy/innocent question that I should have asked in interviews but never got around to. How long is their summer program? I've heard places with short programs of 8 weeks and longer programs of 12 weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:I am not sure about SAing and then switching to a part-time plan and doing OCI again. I don't think it is dishonest since people sometimes SA at one firm and then go through OCI as a 3L and switch to a different firm (note: you can't rely on getting an offer as a 3L, though, because very few firms are looking for 3Ls, but it does happen from time-to-time). However, I think if you do two years full-time and then switch to part-time, you won't qualify to do OCI again because you will have too many credits (depends on the school so you would need to check). I think you would need to switch to part-time this year.

Thanks for the link. Looks like all the confirmed no-offers were in CA. According to NALP there were 5 no-offers out of 69 SA's. http://employers.nalpdirectory.org/empl ... hCondJSON={%22SearchEmployerName%22%3A%22paul%20hastings%22}.

That's last year's data. I think there were quite a few more no-offers this year. I was in a non-CA, non-NYC office and I was no offered from PH.

I know you want to find a way to justify going here and you are going to discredit all the no-offers and think it's never going to happen to you. But seriously, if you have another offer I would take it over PH.

And don't put too much stock into those surveys of how good the summer program is. They do those in the middle of the summer. After being assured all summer that there is room for everyone and being made to think we are all getting offers they call a special meeting and give us ice cream and then tell us to give them all 5s on the survey. (That's how they did it in my office at least). I gave all 5s because the summer was fun and I thought this was the place I was going to be working after graduation so of course I wanted them to look good. Then a couple weeks later I was blindsided in my last performance review and no offered a couple weeks later.

If it's your only offer, of course you should take it, but I hope you have other options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's last year's data. I think there were quite a few more no-offers this year. I was in a non-CA, non-NYC office and I was no offered from PH.

I know you want to find a way to justify going here and you are going to discredit all the no-offers and think it's never going to happen to you. But seriously, if you have another offer I would take it over PH.

And don't put too much stock into those surveys of how good the summer program is. They do those in the middle of the summer. After being assured all summer that there is room for everyone and being made to think we are all getting offers they call a special meeting and give us ice cream and then tell us to give them all 5s on the survey. (That's how they did it in my office at least). I gave all 5s because the summer was fun and I thought this was the place I was going to be working after graduation so of course I wanted them to look good. Then a couple weeks later I was blindsided in my last performance review and no offered a couple weeks later.

If it's your only offer, of course you should take it, but I hope you have other options.

Still haven't heard of any NYC no-offers. Also they generally decreases their class size(s) this year, despite a (sluggish and slow) general uptick in the economy, which may indicate fewer no-offers.

The fact that you got blindsided really bothers me. You had no idea until the very end? You felt you did good work, didn't blow it off, got along with everyone well?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Still haven't heard of any NYC no-offers. Also they generally decreases their class size(s) this year, despite a (sluggish and slow) general uptick in the economy, which may indicate fewer no-offers.

The fact that you got blindsided really bothers me. You had no idea until the very end? You felt you did good work, didn't blow it off, got along with everyone well?

Yup. Great feedback all summer, assured by mentors and others that I was doing good work and would get an offer, second to last day I had a performance review and their tone was totally different. Don't want to get into the specifics of the reason because I don't know if they used that reason for anyone else, but it didn't make much sense.

There might not have been any NYC no-offers, I don't know. Like I said, if it's your only offer you gotta take it, but if I could do it all over again I would've gone for a 100% offer rate firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here is an easy/innocent question that I should have asked in interviews but never got around to. How long is their summer program? I've heard places with short programs of 8 weeks and longer programs of 12 weeks.

10 weeks. Spent this summer at PH NY, got an offer. You can do it, too - just do good work and keep a positive attitude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is an easy/innocent question that I should have asked in interviews but never got around to. How long is their summer program? I've heard places with short programs of 8 weeks and longer programs of 12 weeks.

10 weeks. Spent this summer at PH NY, got an offer. You can do it, too - just do good work and keep a positive attitude.

Woohoo a PH NYC! Can we PM or something?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 pm

In addition to doing relatively well in Vault surveys on hours, satisfaction, and "best to work for," PH is #1 in associate satisfaction according to American Lawyer's "A list." Doesn't that mean anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:25 pm

I summeredI in a non nyc office. I thought the firm culture was good,and associates do not overworked. It is hard to know whether all big law in my market is this way or it is PH. 9 to 7 was mostly common. I came in on a Sat and nobody was in the office on my floor.

But I also heard Nyc office is more sweatshops and isn't really different from other nyc firms.

About the no offers, I think they are pretty picky on personality and fit. I know someone explicitly told it was fit. And the several stories on tls this year all said they screwed up one small assignment. My guess is that is just a personality ding.

I'd guess after the dust settles we will see 85% offers, which is lower than average for them, and but their average is probably only 90 percent historically.

If you have an offer from a true historically 100 percent firm that should be a big plus in its favor. But, most nonv20 (and even several v20) are historically below 100 percent.

Sorry for the typos, poor can't figure out the typing on my I phone.

Return to “Legal Employment”