Mass Mailing Tips?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Screaming Llama

Mass Mailing Tips?

Postby Screaming Llama » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Okay, here's the sitch: I graduated law school in May, and at this point, I've exhausted all my networking connections including past employers and professors. It's mass mailing time. I'm not expecting much, as I have a middle of the road GPA from a middle of the road law school with no LR, but I figure that I need to give this a shot before I give up on law entirely. Does anyone have any tips for mass mailing to make this as streamlined and efficient as possible? I'd greatly appreciate it, mostly because of the inevitable, soul-crushing rejection that awaits me. So if you have any tips about mass mailing that you learned the hard way, please share. Encouraging stories, if any exist, would also be appreciated.

dabbadon8

Re: Mass Mailing Tips?

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:39 pm

What school? Ties? Other factors?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:47 pm

2L here. Do you have a practice area you are interested. Create a cover letter for that practice area and then use chambers to reach the firms. Add a few words if also geographic tie.
I am guessing NALP firms are too late at this game, but go through local bar association websites, and look who are their sponsors. Thus, you might have a greater list of decent small firms. My theory is that if a firm sponsors the local bar, they are more likely to be a decent place to work and have some money to take a chance on you. This is what I am doing after exhausting NALP firms in my geographic region.

Screaming Llama

Postby Screaming Llama » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:55 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:What school? Ties? Other factors?

T50. I have a lot of close ties with people in government, professors, and a handful of lawyers. I have a bunch of things on my resume that are positive but probably meaningless: moot court with awards, worked on some SCOTUS amicus briefs, and have great job references but from what I've seen, these don't matter nearly as much as GPA.

Thanks for the advice 2L anon. I never thought to check out the local bar association sponsor list.

Return to “Legal Employment”