3L Job Search Exhaustion

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:36 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
manofjustice wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Wow. Just wow.

what?


The market is that bad?

With the news that market is down to 145 nationally, it seems like we are getting worse.

Yes, the market is that bad. Every jobs I've had has shown the industry is contracting at an insane rate. While the speed of the decline appears slower than 2008 when firms were chopping off limbs, they're still on life support with a fatal prognosis for stability and affluence.


Wait, the market is down to 145 nationally?

Edit: Saw the post in another thread and figured what this refers to. In this case, what would ppl recommend? Should we accept the offer at the most well-regarded firm we can?

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
manofjustice wrote:
thelawyler wrote:what?


The market is that bad?

With the news that market is down to 145 nationally, it seems like we are getting worse.

Yes, the market is that bad. Every jobs I've had has shown the industry is contracting at an insane rate. While the speed of the decline appears slower than 2008 when firms were chopping off limbs, they're still on life support with a fatal prognosis for stability and affluence.


Wait, the market is down to 145 nationally?

Edit: Saw the post in another thread and figured what this refers to. In this case, what would ppl recommend? Should we accept the offer at the most well-regarded firm we can?

The answer is simple, accept the offer at the firm least likely to fire you for financial reasons. Use year over year revenue growth, RPL, prior layoffs, industry/practice focus and general location. Prioritize stability over namebrand, but yes, generally pick the most well-regarded firm you can. Don't be that person who insists on picking a weak firm with a special practice group (looking at White & Case).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Did the full gamut of 3L job searching last year and only wound up finding something in April. Would be happy to take questions/give advice.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did the full gamut of 3L job searching last year and only wound up finding something in April. Would be happy to take questions/give advice.

How did you do it and what did you get.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Rocío wrote:you aren't being drafted

I did briefly consider enlisting, however.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:12 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did the full gamut of 3L job searching last year and only wound up finding something in April. Would be happy to take questions/give advice.

How did you do it and what did you get.


September-October were relatively busy in terms of interviews. I did a biglaw/midlaw mass mail, clerkship mailing to about 100 judges, 3L OCI (20 interviews) and federal government honors programs. I ended up with 3 cbs out of the whole deal and struck out after getting to second round callbacks at one firm (some 3L hiring is more like lateral hiring than 2L).

I'll say that I was CCN, median after 1L, and top 1/3 after 2L. I also had worked several simultaneous jobs during 2L which gave me an interesting angle. Two of those jobs got me callbacks- one I worked directly for a co-managing partner and the other for a well connected businessdood.

From about Oct to Feb was dead silence- almost no jobs being posted to apply to. Thus was the worst time. During that time I continued to work several jobs/internships and got a big surprise resume boost. I put together a practice interest narrative based on my job. I also generally blew off class spring semester. Around Feb, things started to pick up. I received two biglaw interviews, an interview for a compliance job, and a boutique callback, mostly through Symplicity resume drops. I also received a call from one of my clerkship apps out of the blue. I got that offer and turned down the compliance job (for a big bank).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did the full gamut of 3L job searching last year and only wound up finding something in April. Would be happy to take questions/give advice.

How did you do it and what did you get.


September-October were relatively busy in terms of interviews. I did a biglaw/midlaw mass mail, clerkship mailing to about 100 judges, 3L OCI (20 interviews) and federal government honors programs. I ended up with 3 cbs out of the whole deal and struck out after getting to second round callbacks at one firm (some 3L hiring is more like lateral hiring than 2L).

I'll say that I was CCN, median after 1L, and top 1/3 after 2L. I also had worked several simultaneous jobs during 2L which gave me an interesting angle. Two of those jobs got me callbacks- one I worked directly for a co-managing partner and the other for a well connected businessdood.

From about Oct to Feb was dead silence- almost no jobs being posted to apply to. Thus was the worst time. During that time I continued to work several jobs/internships and got a big surprise resume boost. I put together a practice interest narrative based on my job. I also generally blew off class spring semester. Around Feb, things started to pick up. I received two biglaw interviews, an interview for a compliance job, and a boutique callback, mostly through Symplicity resume drops. I also received a call from one of my clerkship apps out of the blue. I got that offer and turned down the compliance job (for a big bank).






Thanks for the advice....btw, did you know what state bar your were going to take before Feb and if so, did that impact your search for a job?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
September-October were relatively busy in terms of interviews. I did a biglaw/midlaw mass mail, clerkship mailing to about 100 judges, 3L OCI (20 interviews) and federal government honors programs. I ended up with 3 cbs out of the whole deal and struck out after getting to second round callbacks at one firm (some 3L hiring is more like lateral hiring than 2L).

I'll say that I was CCN, median after 1L, and top 1/3 after 2L. I also had worked several simultaneous jobs during 2L which gave me an interesting angle. Two of those jobs got me callbacks- one I worked directly for a co-managing partner and the other for a well connected businessdood.

From about Oct to Feb was dead silence- almost no jobs being posted to apply to. Thus was the worst time. During that time I continued to work several jobs/internships and got a big surprise resume boost. I put together a practice interest narrative based on my job. I also generally blew off class spring semester. Around Feb, things started to pick up. I received two biglaw interviews, an interview for a compliance job, and a boutique callback, mostly through Symplicity resume drops. I also received a call from one of my clerkship apps out of the blue. I got that offer and turned down the compliance job (for a big bank).





Thanks for the advice....btw, did you know what state bar your were going to take before Feb and if so, did that impact your search for a job?


I did not know for sure, but was considering taking both the state where my law school was located and my home state as they were relatively close by. I figured I could conduct a dual job search while living at home. However, in retrospect that was probably a dumb idea as I would have been able to get a school fellowship job with the government agency where I interned during the Spring semester. That would have been my backup option.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
September-October were relatively busy in terms of interviews. I did a biglaw/midlaw mass mail, clerkship mailing to about 100 judges, 3L OCI (20 interviews) and federal government honors programs. I ended up with 3 cbs out of the whole deal and struck out after getting to second round callbacks at one firm (some 3L hiring is more like lateral hiring than 2L).

I'll say that I was CCN, median after 1L, and top 1/3 after 2L. I also had worked several simultaneous jobs during 2L which gave me an interesting angle. Two of those jobs got me callbacks- one I worked directly for a co-managing partner and the other for a well connected businessdood.

From about Oct to Feb was dead silence- almost no jobs being posted to apply to. Thus was the worst time. During that time I continued to work several jobs/internships and got a big surprise resume boost. I put together a practice interest narrative based on my job. I also generally blew off class spring semester. Around Feb, things started to pick up. I received two biglaw interviews, an interview for a compliance job, and a boutique callback, mostly through Symplicity resume drops. I also received a call from one of my clerkship apps out of the blue. I got that offer and turned down the compliance job (for a big bank).





Thanks for the advice....btw, did you know what state bar your were going to take before Feb and if so, did that impact your search for a job?


I did not know for sure, but was considering taking both the state where my law school was located and my home state as they were relatively close by. I figured I could conduct a dual job search while living at home. However, in retrospect that was probably a dumb idea as I would have been able to get a school fellowship job with the government agency where I interned during the Spring semester. That would have been my backup option.


can you say what you did your 2L summer? Did this play any role in your job search?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:28 am

I'd also be VERY interested in hearing about your search for compliance jobs. I'm not sure i even want law if I don't get big or mid, not for anything other than that I'm mainly interested in corporate transactional work. I'm kind of branching out my search (as a 2L) to compliance and tax.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby keg411 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:School's CSO employee sends stock e-mail about "records showing you have not obtained a job, please let me know how I can assist" etc. I respond with what I need help with a week ago. No respone, I get ignored. I love how at least at my school, the dean preaches about going to CSO. Yet, you can't ask them more than two questions in one e-mail if you want an answer to both questions, and they clearly send out these e-mails to say they are trying to help students without actually doing anything.


Or, instead of just sending an e-mail, you can call and make an appointment and meet with them in person. The one thing I learned about CSO's is that they can be extremely helpful, but you have to make your issues known more than once since they're juggling hundreds of students in the same position. You can't just send an e-mail and expect them to fix everything for you.

london24
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby london24 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did the full gamut of 3L job searching last year and only wound up finding something in April. Would be happy to take questions/give advice.

How did you do it and what did you get.


September-October were relatively busy in terms of interviews. I did a biglaw/midlaw mass mail, clerkship mailing to about 100 judges, 3L OCI (20 interviews) and federal government honors programs. I ended up with 3 cbs out of the whole deal and struck out after getting to second round callbacks at one firm (some 3L hiring is more like lateral hiring than 2L).

I'll say that I was CCN, median after 1L, and top 1/3 after 2L. I also had worked several simultaneous jobs during 2L which gave me an interesting angle. Two of those jobs got me callbacks- one I worked directly for a co-managing partner and the other for a well connected businessdood.

From about Oct to Feb was dead silence- almost no jobs being posted to apply to. Thus was the worst time. During that time I continued to work several jobs/internships and got a big surprise resume boost. I put together a practice interest narrative based on my job. I also generally blew off class spring semester. Around Feb, things started to pick up. I received two biglaw interviews, an interview for a compliance job, and a boutique callback, mostly through Symplicity resume drops. I also received a call from one of my clerkship apps out of the blue. I got that offer and turned down the compliance job (for a big bank).


Good for you for a successful hustle and thank for providing a happy story! Just wondering if you could give a few more details on landing a clerkship fairly late in the game? Was it a state court judge who just hires on the later side or something where a previously hired clerk was unavailable?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:42 am

keg411 wrote:Or, instead of just sending an e-mail, you can call and make an appointment and meet with them in person. The one thing I learned about CSO's is that they can be extremely helpful, but you have to make your issues known more than once since they're juggling hundreds of students in the same position. You can't just send an e-mail and expect them to fix everything for you.


I replied to the e-mail they sent me. The e-mail that said to reply with concerns and they'll set up a time to come in/call. I'm doing an extern program in another city. I can find the information myself, but I'm externing full time for a government agency that has a chance for a job post grad. I didn't want to close my door and call non-law places all day to figure out who all the recruiters are because I can't attend their events at the business school. There's an industry that hires a large amount of JD's for what my background and law school work has been in, but that industry doesn't really post jobs as it's all campus hires. Thanks for your opinion, though. Having a job must be nice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
September-October were relatively busy in terms of interviews. I did a biglaw/midlaw mass mail, clerkship mailing to about 100 judges, 3L OCI (20 interviews) and federal government honors programs. I ended up with 3 cbs out of the whole deal and struck out after getting to second round callbacks at one firm (some 3L hiring is more like lateral hiring than 2L).

I'll say that I was CCN, median after 1L, and top 1/3 after 2L. I also had worked several simultaneous jobs during 2L which gave me an interesting angle. Two of those jobs got me callbacks- one I worked directly for a co-managing partner and the other for a well connected businessdood.

From about Oct to Feb was dead silence- almost no jobs being posted to apply to. Thus was the worst time. During that time I continued to work several jobs/internships and got a big surprise resume boost. I put together a practice interest narrative based on my job. I also generally blew off class spring semester. Around Feb, things started to pick up. I received two biglaw interviews, an interview for a compliance job, and a boutique callback, mostly through Symplicity resume drops. I also received a call from one of my clerkship apps out of the blue. I got that offer and turned down the compliance job (for a big bank).





Thanks for the advice....btw, did you know what state bar your were going to take before Feb and if so, did that impact your search for a job?


I did not know for sure, but was considering taking both the state where my law school was located and my home state as they were relatively close by. I figured I could conduct a dual job search while living at home. However, in retrospect that was probably a dumb idea as I would have been able to get a school fellowship job with the government agency where I interned during the Spring semester. That would have been my backup option.


can you say what you did your 2L summer? Did this play any role in your job search?


I worked for a new state agency in a large market state. This agency has a prestigious/relevant sounding name although my work was not directly related to the corporate/financial services practice groups the V100 were hiring for. I was able to spin it in some interviews as the opportunity to work for an innovative new agency.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd also be VERY interested in hearing about your search for compliance jobs. I'm not sure i even want law if I don't get big or mid, not for anything other than that I'm mainly interested in corporate transactional work. I'm kind of branching out my search (as a 2L) to compliance and tax.


The bank I applied to has a unique new compliance program. I found it on Symplicity. My background at a couple of government agencies was particularly relevant to a compliance job. The pay was low-six with much better hours than biglaw- had I not received the clerkship I did I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby dudders » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote: 3L OCI (20 interviews)


I don't think GW's school's 3LOL OCI even had that many employers.

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby dudders » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:09 am

I wake up in the morning, and I think, okay, Equal Justice Works, just get it over with and reject me from everything already.

User avatar
Triangles
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: 3L Job Search Exhaustion

Postby Triangles » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:23 am

dudders wrote:I wake up in the morning, and I think, okay, Equal Justice Works, just get it over with and reject me from everything already.


I know that feeling. I didn't even get an OCI screening interview for the public defense office where I'm interning. I can't imagine I will have any luck at EJW, so far every organization that has decided who they want to interview has dinged me.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.