LR Executive Board .... Effect on future employment?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
glitter178

LR Executive Board .... Effect on future employment?

Postby glitter178 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:57 pm

So, I know that generally, being EIC of Law Review is a huge deal and makes you very desirable to employers. What about other E-board positions? Do they have any weight? Or is it EIC or nothing?

Thanks

zomginternets

Re: LR Executive Board .... Effect on future employment?

Postby zomginternets » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Depends on goals. Here's my thoughts:

For clerking (and probably academia), any position is important, and order of desirability is usually:

EIC > Articles Editor > Managing Editor/Notes & Comments Editor > Everything else.

For most all other goals, EIC is usually not the position you want--it's a huge time sink, and will not appreciably increase your marketability (over other board positions). One caveat might be sought-after government positions (DOJ, State AG, etc.), for which the above order might still apply.

For biglawl, e-board is almost always immaterial as you'll have your 2L summer offer (which will translate into a full time offer 95% of the time) long before applying for e-board. For small/midsized firms, connections/personal likeability/work experience probably play a larger role in getting your job than being on E-board.

Basically, unless you are gunning for ultra-competitive positions, EIC is a waste of time. The other positions don't take up as much time, and are nice on your resume, so IMO you might as well apply for them.

Gorki

Re: LR Executive Board .... Effect on future employment?

Postby Gorki » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Honestly, unless you are gunning for a prestigious clerkship, I would gun for whatever Editorial position requires the least amount of work. Unless you really love LR that is.

At least on my journal some of the 3L editors are essentially second year staffers with a different title, others are managerial and more about planning who does what and dealing with the authors.

Return to “Legal Employment”