Exit options from Magic Circle/ Silver Circle

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exit options from Magic Circle/ Silver Circle

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi all,
Currently considering SA positions in London vs. V10-20s in NYC. Would be doing mostly capital markets, a little M&A.
Just wondering what exit options are for 3rd-4th year associates working in American practices of Magic Circle and Silver Circle firms, because partnership prospects seem to be equivalent to NYC (bleak).
Also, are there significant differences between Magic Circle and Silver Circle? (say, b/w Linklaters/ Clifford Chance and Herbert Smith/ Ashurst)? I preferred the attorneys/office/vibe at the Silver Circle firm to the more prestigious office.
Any input on the difference b/w starting in London (at an English firm) and NYC (at American firm) would be appreciated.
Thanks for your advice!

Anonymous User

Re: Exit options from Magic Circle/ Silver Circle

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Everyone that I asked when I was considering this question told me if you want to be an American lawyer you should start at an American firm. If any of the v10/v20s you are considering have London offices, I would strongly consider that and see if you could do a rotation in London either over the summer or at some point whilst an associate.

If you end up going w a uk firm I would say magic circle is likely to have better exit options in the us than silver circle. If you want to stay in the uk still probably true but slightly less so.

Return to “Legal Employment”