Advice on Choosing Between Two Offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CPIII

Advice on Choosing Between Two Offers

Postby CPIII » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 am

Hi,

I would like people's input on long-term career ramifications. I worked in insurance defense for a few years, then transitioned into a commercial litigation position. The firm dissolved due to the owner's death, but I was able to keep a few, smaller files.

I am currently weighing two offers: (1) 90K from a plaintiff's firm that deals in PI, WC, and SSD. They appear anxious to grow. This would be based in a mid-size, low cost of living city. (2) An "of counsel," eat what you kill offer from a small, commercial litigation firm (80% to me, 20% to them). Not sure about the amount of referrals I would get from them, as they are out of state. If things go well they would consider bringing me on board as an associate.

Thoughts? Plaintiffs' work can be lucrative and I will get trial experience, but will this preclude me from other types of litigation down the road?

Thanks.

ryanmot

Re: Advice on Choosing Between Two Offers

Postby ryanmot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am

Depends how confident you are in your ability to bring in business at the commercial litigation firm.

If you do well, I doubt the plaintiff's firm will preclude you from other opportunities in the future.

Return to “Legal Employment”