Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:08 am

I am interested in hearing any anicdotal stories from those that have started as a first year associate at firms they did not summer with. Were you treated any differently? Did you find it perfectly easy to fit in? I am considering an offer from a V5 vs the V50 I summered at. General thoughts and discussions are also welcome. Thanks.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby dood » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:59 am

i just started work. 4 new associates started with my class that didnt summer. only minor inconveniences like asking were shit was and how to use certain systems/firm procedures. but they got work just like the rest of us and seem to fit well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:25 am

OP, I am in the same situation. We are probably considering the same V5 since it is actively hiring 3Ls (Skadden?). Anyway I asked them to put me in touch with someone who had started as a first-year associate but did not summer. He said that it was a little bit difficult socially but that eventually that wore off. It may not be as bad socially if there are several of us, though. During the year, I am planning to try to get together with the other 3Ls who received offers who did not summer, so that we can get to know each other a little. However, the associate said your friends will be in the practice group you end up in anyway. He also said it did not affect him from a work perspective. I was a little worried that maybe the partners already had their favorite summers and would not want to work with us, but apparently that is not the case. You do have to get used to a new document storage system, copying system, support staff, etc. I am not too worried about that because I picked that stuff up in a couple weeks from my old firm. I can't imagine it would be that much of a setback.

I also have a question for you: how are you planning on handling things with your summer firm if you do go with the V5? I am dreading making the call. I have not accepted an offer yet but will probably do it soon. Gulp.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:43 pm

OP here. I haven't decided one way or the other. I know my summer firm would be mad and I'd probably burn that bridge. So, if I do decide to go to the V5, I'd probably just call the head of recruiting and let them know. My decision is also partly based on practice area availability too.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:47 pm

OP, would you PM me?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Bump. Any stories out there?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 pm

it's fine. im starting at a huge firm where i didn't summer. the class size is huge so even all the summers dont know each other. the only annoying thing is getting used to a new system/computer/etc.

plenty of normal people start work not knowing anyone and do just fine. this is not a reason not to accept.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:it's fine. im starting at a huge firm where i didn't summer. the class size is huge so even all the summers dont know each other. the only annoying thing is getting used to a new system/computer/etc.

plenty of normal people start work not knowing anyone and do just fine. this is not a reason not to accept.

You don't say. People actually start work places they don't know people. Your condescending comment dismisses the key element of law firm hiring. I am not worried about not knowing people. I am worried about being perceived as a second tier associate because I did not summer there. I am concerned with not having the same opportunities as those that were recruited a year earlier than me. This thread is to either confirm or debunk these thoughts, however it is not a thread to diminish my fear of working with people I don't know. Thanks for your input though.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby sunynp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:30 am

Not to burst any bubbles but the partners have seen skads of people come and go. They dont get attached to any particular summer people ( there may be rare exceptions of indivdual talent- im sure people remembered barack and michelle when they were summers.) Outside of the people who run the summer program and events, most partners wouldnt remember the summers if they ran into them on the street.

You aren't at any disadvantage. Just be friendly and do exceptional work from day one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:45 am

sunyup wrote:Not to burst any bubbles but the partners have seen skads of people come and go. They dont get attached to any particular summer people ( there may be rare exceptions of indivdual talent- im sure people remembered barack and michelle when they were summers.) Outside of the people who run the summer program and events, most partners wouldnt remember the summers if they ran into them on the street.

You aren't at any disadvantage. Just be friendly and do exceptional work from day one.


I think this is generally right especially since OP is going to V5, which generally have big summer classes, so there is no way that all the partners know every single summer and would actually notice a new associate is someone who did not summer. It will probably only come up among people within the first-year associate class.

But, sunyup, have you seen the college thesis Michelle Obama wrote? It was pretty terrible. I find it hard to believe that she stood out at Sidley for the quality of her work product although she has really high EQ so maybe she stood out for that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:55 am

I am doing this, and I have an intervening clerkship thrown into the mix, too. I don't start for a little while, but I'll admit that I'm a touch worried about the combination of not having summered at the firm and having a year "off" (particularly because I'm not doing litigation, which is a one of the reasons I switched firms). On top of all of this, the kind of work I'll be doing at the new firm wasn't even done at my 2L SA firm, so I'm going in completely blind. The people I have talked to have said not to worry about it, but eh.

Making the call to my 2L firm was really awkward, and I doubt I'd be able to go back to that firm if I wanted to down the road, but it is what it is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking offer from firm where you did not summer...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am doing this, and I have an intervening clerkship thrown into the mix, too. I don't start for a little while, but I'll admit that I'm a touch worried about the combination of not having summered at the firm and having a year "off" (particularly because I'm not doing litigation, which is a one of the reasons I switched firms). On top of all of this, the kind of work I'll be doing at the new firm wasn't even done at my 2L SA firm, so I'm going in completely blind. The people I have talked to have said not to worry about it, but eh.

Making the call to my 2L firm was really awkward, and I doubt I'd be able to go back to that firm if I wanted to down the road, but it is what it is.


Why do you doubt you'd be able to go back to that firm?

Not to hijack, but does anyone have advice for those who do not wish to close that door in the event they do not return right away to their SA firm?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.