Mass Mail Follow-ups

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nmcdgt

Mass Mail Follow-ups

Postby nmcdgt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Initially began mailing late July, sent follow-ups in early Sept. Still silence from a ton of firms. I want to continue showing interest but don't want to annoy them. What's an appropriate amount of time to wait before following up again?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Re: Mass Mail Follow-ups

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:57 am

nmcdgt wrote:Initially began mailing late July, sent follow-ups in early Sept. Still silence from a ton of firms. I want to continue showing interest but don't want to annoy them. What's an appropriate amount of time to wait before following up again?

What do you mean "sent follow-ups"? You basically mass-mailed them again?

Following up by phone is by far the most efficient way to do it. And if you're good at it, sometimes you can talk the recruiter into making sure your resume gets shown to the right people sooner than later.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:44 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
nmcdgt wrote:Initially began mailing late July, sent follow-ups in early Sept. Still silence from a ton of firms. I want to continue showing interest but don't want to annoy them. What's an appropriate amount of time to wait before following up again?

What do you mean "sent follow-ups"? You basically mass-mailed them again?

Following up by phone is by far the most efficient way to do it. And if you're good at it, sometimes you can talk the recruiter into making sure your resume gets shown to the right people sooner than later.

By follow ups I mean I just emailed them again saying that I had applied in July and wanted to reiterate my interest in interviewing with the firm and see where they were in the recruiting process, just to make sure my stuff hadn't gotten lost or forgotten. Is phone call the way to go? How long should I wait?

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 am

You may as well try it now OP. Honestly, this late in the game you will probably get a lot of short responses saying they concluded their hiring process, but its worth a shot. At the very least you can mentally close shut some of those outstanding apps.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:56 am

My experience has been that they probably got your application, but if they haven't contacted you by now they aren't interested. It couldn't hurt to follow up by phone or email.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:18 pm

badaboom61 wrote:My experience has been that they probably got your application, but if they haven't contacted you by now they aren't interested. It couldn't hurt to follow up by phone or email.

This (bolded). Especially if you already followed up once. Unless you have an expiring offer from somewhere else, I wouldn't even follow up again. But if you must, don't spend more than 1 hour total on it, because it's likely to be a waste of time.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:30 pm

At this point OP, from those firms you only have a chance if they overestimate how liked they are by the people they already have given CBs/offers. I am surprised by the amount of people that say it is a good idea to call... if I was a recruiter, the last thing I would want is someone to call me in the middle of the day and ask me about their application. Especially, if I have 200 other resumes on my inbox.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Without wanting to take over this thread, I have a question. I had a mass mail screener in a v50-major market, and was told I was going to hear in the next two-three days when I asked about a timeline. A week has passed, and nothing, whether negative or positive. Is it a bad idea to ask recruiting for an update, or re-iterate my interest. I really liked the firm and I have no offers so far.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Without wanting to take over this thread, I have a question. I had a mass mail screener in a v50-major market, and was told I was going to hear in the next two-three days when I asked about a timeline. A week has passed, and nothing, whether negative or positive. Is it a bad idea to ask recruiting for an update, or re-iterate my interest. I really liked the firm and I have no offers so far.

A week is not that long, but I understand your anxiety in lieu of the screener's comments. I know in larger firms there can be a disconnect between what a screener says in an interview and what the hiring committee has planned.

Since it is already Friday afternoon (in my part of the US at least) I would contact them Monday morning at this point... In my experience firm's have hiring committee meetings on Fridays. By Monday they will either have met, or at the very least can give you a better idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Gorki wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Without wanting to take over this thread, I have a question. I had a mass mail screener in a v50-major market, and was told I was going to hear in the next two-three days when I asked about a timeline. A week has passed, and nothing, whether negative or positive. Is it a bad idea to ask recruiting for an update, or re-iterate my interest. I really liked the firm and I have no offers so far.

A week is not that long, but I understand your anxiety in lieu of the screener's comments. I know in larger firms there can be a disconnect between what a screener says in an interview and what the hiring committee has planned.

Since it is already Friday afternoon (in my part of the US at least) I would contact them Monday morning at this point... In my experience firm's have hiring committee meetings on Fridays. By Monday they will either have met, or at the very least can give you a better idea.

Thanks. Yeah, I have been getting a little desperate. To clarify, the recruiter told me that I will hear in 2-3 days. Also, do screener acceptances go through a hiring committee meeting? I thought it was only for CB people that committees meet...

Return to “Legal Employment”