Road to the DOJ

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How to get there?

BigLaw --> Clerk --> BigLaw (~3 years) --> DOJ
87%
Hold out for SLIP --> Pray for Honors --> DOJ
7%
Hold out for SLIP --> DA (~5 years) --> DOJ
7%
DA --> DA (~5 years) --> DOJ
No votes
Some variation?
No votes

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

Road to the DOJ

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi TLS,

Career goals:

-clerk
-work for the U.S. Attorney's office

My GPA isn't stellar, but I'm on LR (at a T30).

I've applied to SLIP and have a BigLaw offer in hand. I have applications ready to go out to DA offices up and down the east coast.

What, in your infinite wisdom, should I do?

Anonymous User

Re: Road to the DOJ

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:26 pm

My plan is to ask one firm to hold my offer until April 1 under the NALP guidelines while I wait to hear about DOJ slip. I'm still trying to decide which firm to choose, but my plan is to call and say "Hi Firm X. You are my number one private sector choice, but I am really interested in exploring a career with the DOJ. Would you please hold my offer until April 1st, because making the private/government decision is a really difficult one for me, and the government timeline is so drastically different from the private sector. Thanks, xoxo"

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:35 am

Take the biglaw firm for the summer, clerk, do litigation at the firm for some years, then DoJ. As far as I can tell, that's the credited way to do it these days (not that there's an easy way).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:My plan is to ask one firm to hold my offer until April 1 under the NALP guidelines while I wait to hear about DOJ slip. I'm still trying to decide which firm to choose, but my plan is to call and say "Hi Firm X. You are my number one private sector choice, but I am really interested in exploring a career with the DOJ. Would you please hold my offer until April 1st, because making the private/government decision is a really difficult one for me, and the government timeline is so drastically different from the private sector. Thanks, xoxo"

IMHO this sounds like a bad idea.

blazes

Postby blazes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My plan is to ask one firm to hold my offer until April 1 under the NALP guidelines while I wait to hear about DOJ slip. I'm still trying to decide which firm to choose, but my plan is to call and say "Hi Firm X. You are my number one private sector choice, but I am really interested in exploring a career with the DOJ. Would you please hold my offer until April 1st, because making the private/government decision is a really difficult one for me, and the government timeline is so drastically different from the private sector. Thanks, xoxo"

If I was the firm, I'd not be too thrilled about that. And if it is a small office, I can bet they'll be really steamed. If I was in their position, I'd just hire another summer, and no offer you if you came.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:58 am

blazes wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If I was the firm, I'd not be too thrilled about that. And if it is a small office, I can bet they'll be really steamed. If I was in their position, I'd just hire another summer, and no offer you if you came.

Well...this just goes to show that reasonable minds can differ. I've spoken to a number of attorneys (both firm and government) who said this is basically the exact way to proceed. A firm doesn't want you if you're not going to want to work there, and they want to leave the door open to you if you want to come back after government work. New associates straight out of law school are relatively fungible; associates who want to lateral with good government experience are not.

With that said, firm size is a significant consideration, and it does make more sense to ask this of a larger firm in NY than a smaller firm in a smaller market.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:42 pm

could you tell them you're interested in splitting with SLIP and intend to if you get it?

Return to “Legal Employment”