Tell a firm they're my top pick?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tell a firm they're my top pick?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Tomorrow will be one week since the CB. Should I write the firm to tell them they're my #1 pick and I'd accept an offer?

tim.janitor

Re: Tell a firm they're my top pick?

Postby tim.janitor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Dont sound desperate.

Let me know you have other offers, and you'd like to throw their name in the mix.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Seriously interested in this as well. I think it could be a good idea if you sound enthusiastic rather than desperate, but I'd like to hear other opinions as well.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:39 pm

i let the firm know they were my first choice and i would accept an offer.

i'll let you guys know how it turns out...probably in the next week. :|

i figure if you're on a "waitlist", genuine enthusiasm will potentially help far more than possibly coming off as "desperate" could hurt.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 pm

It sounds more like enthusiasm and less like desperation when you have other offers, so that you can say 'I am writing to let you know that I have (an) offer(s) from Firm X, etc which expire(s) on _______, but Target Firm remains my top choice because _______. I was wondering where you are in the process' or something like that. I think the reason it sounds better when you have an offer is that the firm is more likely to believe you as opposed to thinking you are saying this to every firm.

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:13 pm

I did this with my top choice firm while on my callback and it worked–I received in offer. In each interview (there were 4 total), I mentioned causally that the firm was my top choice and gave reasons why.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:It sounds more like enthusiasm and less like desperation when you have other offers, so that you can say 'I am writing to let you know that I have (an) offer(s) from Firm X, etc which expire(s) on _______, but Target Firm remains my top choice because _______. I was wondering where you are in the process' or something like that. I think the reason it sounds better when you have an offer is that the firm is more likely to believe you as opposed to thinking you are saying this to every firm.
I think this is true. However, I did this and promptly received a rejection. Although my situation may not be completely applicable because the firm I did this with is everyone's top choice. I felt like it was a neutral factor and I was going to be rejected anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 pm

I wrote in a thank you letter, but only to the attorney that I had the most rapport with, that they were my first choice. My other thank you's were very enthusiastic and consistent with this message. It was a reach firm and it paid off with an offer within 48 hours after my callback (within 24 hours of the thank you letters). It's risky and if you do it you MUST accept the offer. But I thought doing it through a thank you letter was a less desperate way to communicate the idea.

Usually, you want to get those letters out ASAP before the attorneys speak with recruiting. If you've already sent thank you's, maybe you could send an additional one to your screening interviewer or hiring partner (Thanks for interviewing me and giving XYZ opportunity, now that my cb's are done I can say without hesitation that your firm is my top choice...).

Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 pm

was under the impression TLS frowned upon this. so it's OK if you have other offers? i've already submitted a LOCI informing them of other offers/deadlines (because it's been a long time from my CB and people have been both rejected/offered from then), but if they cut it close to those deadlines maybe i should contact them again with something like OP's language? i don't know if i'm on hold because they DO know i will accept and they're looking at other candidates, or they don't know and are trying not to get oversubscribed.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:45 pm

I just received an offer in a secondary market, and I want to do this to the firm I'm waiting on as it's exactly the time they said they'd be letting me know. I haven't heard anything yet, but maybe I could increase my chances by sending an email like this?

It definitely sounds desperate if you have no other offer, but I feel it could help if you do. I just don't know if it would help me if I'm mentioning an offer from a secondary market? Should I just stay silent and pray?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:30 am

Sup Kid wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

Non t14

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:was under the impression TLS frowned upon this. so it's OK if you have other offers? i've already submitted a LOCI informing them of other offers/deadlines (because it's been a long time from my CB and people have been both rejected/offered from then), but if they cut it close to those deadlines maybe i should contact them again with something like OP's language? i don't know if i'm on hold because they DO know i will accept and they're looking at other candidates, or they don't know and are trying not to get oversubscribed.

Maybe I overstated my position. I *think* it is ok if you have other offers but has a not insignificant risk of sounding desperate and a high likelihood of having no impact whatsoever. The person who did that and got the offer.....we have no idea if him saying they were his first choice made one iota of difference.

Perhaps a safer thing to do if you have an offer is say 'I have an offer that expires in three weeks but I remain very interested in Target Firm because ______________'

FWIW I sent an email very much like the sentence above last year post CB and never heard back good or bad from the firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”