How long until you accepted?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How long

1 day
8%
2-5 days
19%
5 days or 1 week
16%
more than 1 week
12%
2 weeks
14%
3 weeks
24%
You crazy?
7%

Total votes: 74

Anonymous User

How long until you accepted?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:43 pm

You can estimate. I am just curious how much time people take before accepting an offer considering most offers have a 28 limit.

Anonymous User

Re: How long until you accepted?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I accepted on the spot (Not a choice in the poll). My #1 choice - why wait?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Had to get an extension on the 28 days. Waiting to hear from other firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had to get an extension on the 28 days. Waiting to hear from other firms.

How did you explain it to the other firms? Did they not like hearing that?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:54 pm

I would frame this in day terms rather than weeks or make an option for an extension, since some people do that (I did) and people might take the full 28 days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted on the spot (Not a choice in the poll). My #1 choice - why wait?

That could go under "you crazy?" .............at least sleep on it? I guess not point if you really know going into it the $, dates, details of people. Also, you have a chance to ask questions once you have an offer....you can leverage details about how many SAs got offers (maybe you already knew)>

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Anonymous from above. I had spoken to many prior summers and attorneys, plus this firm has one of the best reputations in my market...both for my practice area AND my personality type.

There was no where else that could match this firm on fit, stability and work. So it was an obvious yes for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous from above. I had spoken to many prior summers and attorneys, plus this firm has one of the best reputations in my market...both for my practice area AND my personality type.

There was no where else that could match this firm on fit, stability and work. So it was an obvious yes for me.

That is awesome. If only more people had situations like that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:23 pm

For the people who waited 3 weeks...why?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the people who waited 3 weeks...why?

I'm waiting and have one week left. Why? Because I want to have all my offers in hand, or at least most of them, and then pick from the offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Misc. "overthinking it" question but this seems like as good a place as any to post it: does it reflect badly if you sit on an offer for a while without taking the firm up on the chance for a second visit, and then eventually accept? I'm waiting to hear back from a CB I'd probably accept over an offer I have, but pending results of that, have pretty much made up my mind. Should I still be taking firms up on the second visit offers just to get contact/ask more probing questions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Misc. "overthinking it" question but this seems like as good a place as any to post it: does it reflect badly if you sit on an offer for a while without taking the firm up on the chance for a second visit, and then eventually accept? I'm waiting to hear back from a CB I'd probably accept over an offer I have, but pending results of that, have pretty much made up my mind. Should I still be taking firms up on the second visit offers just to get contact/ask more probing questions?

Are you at school in the same city? If not, I can't see how it would hurt you. They understand that you have a busy schedule and flying back isn't convenient.

I'm curious more generally if it's bad to sit on offers for 3-4 weeks. My first CB was 3 weeks earlier than my last, and I want to have all my options on the table when I make my choice. Can this look bad, though?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 pm

I'm not in the same city. So yeah, you're probably right. I'd also be interested in the answer to your general question. TLS might not be a good sample, but 3 weeks is leading so far, surprisingly to me -- so maybe it doesn't look so bad?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:25 pm

I accepted within 5 days. I wanted to appear passionate but it was a costly mistake because within three days I received two other offers, both paying more. My advice to those offered but are waiting on CBs, contact the firm(s) and say you have an offer and would like to know the status of your application. My guess is that your request will be appreciated. I know that when I cancelled CBs the firms always asked where I was going so that they could evaluate their hiring strategy.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted within 5 days. I wanted to appear passionate but it was a costly mistake because within three days I received two other offers, both paying more. My advice to those offered but are waiting on CBs, contact the firm(s) and say you have an offer and would like to know the status of your application. My guess is that your request will be appreciated. I know that when I cancelled CBs the firms always asked where I was going so that they could evaluate their hiring strategy.

My suspicion is that 9 months from now (when you start your SA) and a year from now (when they decide whether or not to give an offer) firms will have forgotten how long it took you to accept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted on the spot (Not a choice in the poll). My #1 choice - why wait?

Short of having a close friend or family member who works there, how could you have a #1 choice before meeting the people there? For most people, that would mean making a decision about a place you're going to spend thousands of hours a year on the basis of Vault / Chambers rankings and/or website propaganda. I couldn't imagine ever doing that.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Short of having a close friend or family member who works there, how could you have a #1 choice before meeting the people there? For most people, that would mean making a decision about a place you're going to spend thousands of hours a year on the basis of Vault / Chambers rankings and/or website propaganda. I couldn't imagine ever doing that.

I doubt this person got an offer without meeting anyone at the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the people who waited 3 weeks...why?

Accepted on the 28th day.
Did well over a dozen callbacks spread out over 5 weeks. Firms move at different paces. Mass mail CBs were earlier than than job fair CBs and both were earlier than OCI CBs.
The only callbacks I turned down were those in cities I determined I didn't want to move to, but I was not dead set on any particular practice area the firms all had different strengths and weaknesses. Went back and visited with various practice groups at the places I got offers and then made my decision based on the group of partners I liked best.

In sum: I took my time because I didn't want to blow it by making an uninformed decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:33 am

struck out at oci but just turned a mass mail into an SA offer at a small firm (20 attorneys) in a small market. i asked for a week to decide.

i've had a really good CB with another small firm and plan to give them an update to try to get a timeframe for an answer.

here's my "problem": i have a CB scheduled next week with another small firm, and they won't be done with CBs until late Oct. i'm going to see if they'll speed things up for me but i'm not hopeful. how bad would it be to ask the firm i have an offer from to wait? it does not feel right to me because of the speed at which they interviewed me/made an offer. i'm interested in hearing other perspectives.

i currently don't have a preference between the firms. what maters to me is which is more likely to result in a fulltime offer at the end of the summer, but neither firm guarantees a job. i plan on pressing the firm i have an offer from to be more clear about the likelihood of an offer, i.e., plans for next year, what they've done in the past.

i would appreciate advice on how to proceed! thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”