tricky offer situation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

tricky offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:11 pm

Offer dilemma:

A firm in my desired area called to say that they have made all their offers, but if someone does not accept, I'll get an offer. Not a major market, but decent size. My top choice. NO exact timeline, but I am essentially waiting for someone to refuse an offer.

I have an offer from a good firm, but in major market. I like the firm, but I do not want to practice in that market. Offer expires in early October. I can ask for an extension, but I need to do so 10 days in advance. So, I have 3 days to ask for one.

What should I do? How can I tell the firm I have an offer with I need more time? Family?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 pm

OP here. This is for a summer position, but it seems that all summers end up working at both these firms.

Skyblaze
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby Skyblaze » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:31 pm

I'd just take the offer you have. Bird in the hand or something or other.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I would go for the extension here. The other firm is your top choice and this firm seems fine with you asking for more time. Just tell them you need more time to weigh all your options or something vague like that.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby 071816 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Looks like it's time to break some knee caps.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 pm

chimp wrote:Looks like it's time to break some knee caps.


hahaha......unfortunately the names of people who got offers is not public....Also, do not know any mafia members...finally, I want to pass the character and fitness test of the bar

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby Lasers » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:finally, I want to pass the character and fitness test of the bar

haha...

anyway, i'm in a somewhat similar position as you OP, except without another offer.

i would say ask for an extension...this is your top choice in your desired market. i don't think asking for an extension will lead to any long term problems besides the slight awkwardness of actually asking for said extension.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Lasers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:finally, I want to pass the character and fitness test of the bar

haha...

anyway, i'm in a somewhat similar position as you OP, except without another offer.

i would say ask for an extension...this is your top choice in your desired market. i don't think asking for an extension will lead to any long term problems besides the slight awkwardness of actually asking for said extension.


So you had a CB with a firm? Now you are waiting to hear back?

User avatar
ryanmot
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby ryanmot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer dilemma:

A firm in my desired area called to say that they have made all their offers, but if someone does not accept, I'll get an offer. Not a major market, but decent size. My top choice. NO exact timeline, but I am essentially waiting for someone to refuse an offer.

I have an offer from a good firm, but in major market. I like the firm, but I do not want to practice in that market. Offer expires in early October. I can ask for an extension, but I need to do so 10 days in advance. So, I have 3 days to ask for one.

What should I do? How can I tell the firm I have an offer with I need more time? Family?


Inquire about an extension as soon as possible and hope for the best. You have an offer in a major market and, to be honest, you're a backup for the other firm, so I wouldn't go overboard trying to accommodate them if it means potentially ruining relations with your others firm. How big is the firm you're waiting on's summer class?

truevines
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby truevines » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Offer dilemma:

A firm in my desired area called to say that they have made all their offers, but if someone does not accept, I'll get an offer. Not a major market, but decent size. My top choice. NO exact timeline, but I am essentially waiting for someone to refuse an offer.

I have an offer from a good firm, but in major market. I like the firm, but I do not want to practice in that market. Offer expires in early October. I can ask for an extension, but I need to do so 10 days in advance. So, I have 3 days to ask for one.

What should I do? How can I tell the firm I have an offer with I need more time? Family?


1) Accept the offer from the good firm.
2) When you got an offer from the desired-area firm, ask for a split.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby Lasers » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lasers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:finally, I want to pass the character and fitness test of the bar

haha...

anyway, i'm in a somewhat similar position as you OP, except without another offer.

i would say ask for an extension...this is your top choice in your desired market. i don't think asking for an extension will lead to any long term problems besides the slight awkwardness of actually asking for said extension.


So you had a CB with a firm? Now you are waiting to hear back?

yap.

pretty much this: "A firm in my desired area called to say that they have made all their offers, but if someone does not accept, I'll get an offer. My top choice. NO exact timeline, but I am essentially waiting for someone to refuse an offer. "

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 am

truevines wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Offer dilemma:

A firm in my desired area called to say that they have made all their offers, but if someone does not accept, I'll get an offer. Not a major market, but decent size. My top choice. NO exact timeline, but I am essentially waiting for someone to refuse an offer.

I have an offer from a good firm, but in major market. I like the firm, but I do not want to practice in that market. Offer expires in early October. I can ask for an extension, but I need to do so 10 days in advance. So, I have 3 days to ask for one.

What should I do? How can I tell the firm I have an offer with I need more time? Family?


1) Accept the offer from the good firm.
2) When you got an offer from the desired-area firm, ask for a split.


THat is an awesome idea! Does that actually work? Are people splitting in this economy?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: tricky offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:12 am

ryanmot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Offer dilemma:

A firm in my desired area called to say that they have made all their offers, but if someone does not accept, I'll get an offer. Not a major market, but decent size. My top choice. NO exact timeline, but I am essentially waiting for someone to refuse an offer.

I have an offer from a good firm, but in major market. I like the firm, but I do not want to practice in that market. Offer expires in early October. I can ask for an extension, but I need to do so 10 days in advance. So, I have 3 days to ask for one.

What should I do? How can I tell the firm I have an offer with I need more time? Family?


Inquire about an extension as soon as possible and hope for the best. You have an offer in a major market and, to be honest, you're a backup for the other firm, so I wouldn't go overboard trying to accommodate them if it means potentially ruining relations with your others firm. How big is the firm you're waiting on's summer class?


9 overall, but 3 in the department I want (IP related). I would be 10000000 happier if I had an offer my top market......so I'll wait it out.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.