OK to tell career services about connections?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OK to tell career services about connections?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:00 am

Short question, is it OK to basically tell your OCS buddy that you have serious connections in government/the industry? Or is this in bad taste/taboo? These connections will be a big part of my job/internship hunt. Thanks.

Gorki

Re: OK to tell career services about connections?

Postby Gorki » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:11 am

Why would this be in bad taste? Not sure what they could tell you besides follow the lead, but not sure why it would ever be in bad taste.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 am

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:45 am

I'm a former Dean of Career Services and from my perspective they 1. Want to know for their records, 2. Want to know because it makes their lives easier, 3. Want to meet your connections (might be the only reason NOT to tell them). It is not in the least bit arrogant or in poor form. Tell away!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I tend to find that the less I tell OCS, the easier my life is.

But my OCS sucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:31 pm

kalvano wrote:I tend to find that the less I tell OCS, the easier my life is.

But my OCS sucks.

+1

ladeeda

Postby ladeeda » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:39 pm

But my OCS sucks.

They all do. Because let's be honest: if they were all that great at knowing how to get people jobs that will make them happy and fulfilled, they would not be working at the CSO.

And government/PI advisors are the WORST since most of them never practiced in government or PI. If they did, they probably would have been happy enough with their jobs and lives to stay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:38 pm

I'll just say that I find my CSO to be outstanding. If I ask a question, they give the answer. Granted, I am only interested in public interest/government work, so I can't speak to how good the private firm career services people are. Our career services person for PI/govt used to work for a one of the biggest nonprofits in the US in their main office in Washington D.C., so he/she can give great advice on how to network, other organizations with similar missions to what you want to do, etc.

The more you tell them, the more they can help you.

(posted anonymously so I wouldn't look like a shill for my school)

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:09 pm

ladeeda wrote:

But my OCS sucks.

They all do. Because let's be honest: if they were all that great at knowing how to get people jobs that will make them happy and fulfilled, they would not be working at the CSO.

And government/PI advisors are the WORST since most of them never practiced in government or PI. If they did, they probably would have been happy enough with their jobs and lives to stay.

Nothing you just said is true about my school, where the career services people actually seem to like their jobs, and they pretty much all used to work in the fields they advise people about (biglaw or public interest).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:19 pm

When I struck out of OCI, the OCS person that I went on to talk to sounded literally like a pamphlet.
She had a prepared speech about how I should not feel bad, that I am not the only one, that this is not the end of the world. She mentioned this like 3-4 times throughout the conversation.
I went into the meeting without ever asking her if I should feel bad, or telling her that I feel bad. Instead, I went very positively, telling her how I am mass mailing, doing this and that.
Went there being positive, and left feeling crushed. OCS people if you are reading this, if someone is not telling you that they are feeling like crap, you should not tell them that they should not feel like crap.

As if that was not enough, she felt mass mailing is a waste and I should go for PI. Yeah, I have no background out all in PI and it is not like the PI market is booming right now. This was August by the way. Finally, when I mentioned the reasons why I think I struck out even though decent mock interviewer and decent grades, she merely got very defensive as if I was accusing someone. I was merely asking of way to address my one issue that I cannot really change. So take what OCS says with a big grain of salt.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 pm

My career services specifically says not to mass mail.

Enough said.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Why would any career services say NOT to mass mail? That's ridiculous.

Additionally, my Career Services office doesn't have the best reputation, but it's way better than people think it is. You just have to go in there and ask the right questions. And that you can always try other people if the first person you talk to is unhelpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:08 pm

keg411 wrote:Why would any career services say NOT to mass mail? That's ridiculous.

Additionally, my Career Services office doesn't have the best reputation, but it's way better than people think it is. You just have to go in there and ask the right questions. And that you can always try other people if the first person you talk to is unhelpful.

No clue. Careers services do get leads later in the game from firms that did not fill classes, so maybe they like those leads? It makes no sense however cause telling people to mass mail increases their placement numbers...

Return to “Legal Employment”