Transfer, Struck Out, Depressed, and Need Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shock259

Re: Transfer, Struck Out, Depressed, and Need Advice

Postby shock259 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:51 am

Jessuf wrote:I'm a transfer and struck out too, OP. you're not alone. I already mass mailed all big, mid, and small law firms in a few different regions. Guess I will be hitting up some regions I have no ties to this weekend.

I have no idea how realistic clerkships are for transfer students. I would love to do one, but I just don't see it as being realistic given that I am a transfer.

Oh noes! Sorry to hear that Jessuf.

Good luck guys. Wish I had more specific advice I could give.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Jessuf wrote:I'm a transfer and struck out too, OP. you're not alone. I already mass mailed all big, mid, and small law firms in a few different regions. Guess I will be hitting up some regions I have no ties to this weekend.

I have no idea how realistic clerkships are for transfer students. I would love to do one, but I just don't see it as being realistic given that I am a transfer.

I don't have first-hand experience with this, but my intuition would be that if you do really well during 2L year at your new school (and take clerkship classes like fed cts, evidence, maybe admin or crim pro, etc) you would still be in the running for a federal clerkship. It is admittedly easier to get good grades 2L year. But if you get top 5% at your new school, you are still beating out a lot of the native students if you are comparing 2L grades only. As I mentioned before, making the e-board of your journal and getting published will enhance your chances, too, and even if you don't get published in your journal, send it off to every other one. Someone mentioned trying to get it published as an article, which I did not even know was an option.

Good luck!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:38 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:

I don't have first-hand experience with this, but my intuition would be that if you do really well during 2L year at your new school (and take clerkship classes like fed cts, evidence, maybe admin or crim pro, etc) you would still be in the running for a federal clerkship. It is admittedly easier to get good grades 2L year. But if you get top 5% at your new school, you are still beating out a lot of the native students if you are comparing 2L grades only. As I mentioned before, making the e-board of your journal and getting published will enhance your chances, too, and even if you don't get published in your journal, send it off to every other one. Someone mentioned trying to get it published as an article, which I did not even know was an option.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Everyone on LR at GULC automatically gets an e board posiiton as a 3L, but I'm pretty sure I'll never be published in LR. I'll try shopping my comment out. My comment isn't due until spring of 3L year. Do you recommend I write it this coming spring semester and try for publication ASAP so that I can maybe include publication on my resume when I start applying for clerkships next summer?

I've also decided to do an internship spring semester with a gov't agency since I'm in DC. Sending out apps now.

Does anyone think joining an Inn of Court would be a good idea?

I still have no idea what to do for 2L summer. I really need money to pay living expenses. Should I try for a PI internship where I can get a stipend through school? And when does PI hiring usually occur? I've never really considered PI. I will keep mass mailing my resume to firms for now.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:37 pm

For the transfers, feel free to PM me; I have experience with your situation (including the clerkship process) but I don't want to out myself ITT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm Friday Sep. 21st at 2:33 PM. That day I sent out about 20 emails to 25-99 person firms in my home state. Two phone calls asking to schedule interviews today. KEEP GOING. I've since sent out another 20 application packets, applied to every firm job listed on our school's symplicity, and sent e-mails to a few lawyers in my home state that went to my UG. WE'LL DO THIS. Even if these two don't pan out, I'm gonna keep trying until I get a jerb or they drag me off to debtor's prison.

Return to “Legal Employment”