Seattle Compensation Scale

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hd1487
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Seattle Compensation Scale

Postby hd1487 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:40 am

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me a compensation breakdown of the major firms in Seattle:

Perkins Coie
K&L Gates
Dorsey & Whitney
Wilson Sonsini
Davis Wright Tremaine
Cooley
etc..

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Seattle Compensation Scale

Postby EvilClinton » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:40 am

hd1487 wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me a compensation breakdown of the major firms in Seattle:

Perkins Coie
K&L Gates
Dorsey & Whitney
Wilson Sonsini
Davis Wright Tremaine
Cooley
etc..

Why dont you just look it up on NALP?

hd1487
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Seattle Compensation Scale

Postby hd1487 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:42 am

I have but I am not sure it is accurate after talking with associates.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Seattle Compensation Scale

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 am

EvilClinton wrote:
hd1487 wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me a compensation breakdown of the major firms in Seattle:

Perkins Coie
K&L Gates
Dorsey & Whitney
Wilson Sonsini
Davis Wright Tremaine
Cooley
etc..

Why dont you just look it up on NALP?


I don't think NALP shows anything beyond starting salary. I assume he's looking for the entire associate pay scale (judging by the thread title).

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Seattle Compensation Scale

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 am

Go to http://www.glassdoor.com. This website is awesome. I have looked up my previous jobs and the salary information is accurate.

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Seattle Compensation Scale

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:26 am

Seattle firms generally have a very flat compensation scale. Although some firms may vary, at many larger Seattle firms annual salary increases of ~3% are common.

Seattle starting salaries are considerably lower than comparable markets, and raises are significantly smaller too. If you are interested in working in Seattle, bear in mind that you will make much less than you would elsewhere.

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Seattle Compensation Scale

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Go to http://www.glassdoor.com. This website is awesome. I have looked up my previous jobs and the salary information is accurate.


If you want to know what an in-house attorney at Microsoft made in 2009, this site is useful. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

lshelby191
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: Seattle Compensation Scale

Postby lshelby191 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:05 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:Seattle firms generally have a very flat compensation scale. Although some firms may vary, at many larger Seattle firms annual salary increases of ~3% are common.

Seattle starting salaries are considerably lower than comparable markets, and raises are significantly smaller too. If you are interested in working in Seattle, bear in mind that you will make much less than you would elsewhere.


The CA-based techie firms in Seattle will pay $160k and according to CA payscale. This is a great deal since you will be making easily 20-40k more than if you worked at a Seattle-based firm. Also no income tax, so you're actually making MORE than an associate in CA of the same firm!





Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.