DOJ SLIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
gdane wrote: I would guess that the components are taking longer to review the extra vet applications that they have for the Honors Program and this in turn is delaying SLIP.


Hey, I'm the one who had three offers. I'm a vet, but I don't think that's why I heard back so quickly. I had interviews with all three components and it sounded like I was competing with other interviewers.


What do you think explains the fact that you've heard back while the rest of us are in limbo, if not your veteran status?


I was under the impression that other people have been hearing back at the same time as me. I ended up having four offers through DOJ SLIP. I turned two down, accepted one, and I am still deciding on the prospect of a split summer with the fourth. I didn't think being a vet really did anything to help me because I didn't claim veteran's preference. The only thing I had to do that was extra was fax my DD-214 when I found out my application was under additional consideration at each of the components to which I applied.

eoir2013
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby eoir2013 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 pm

I've been "selected for further consideration" for immigrations courts of the EOIR. Anyone else on here on the same boat as myself?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Already accepted a SLIP offer from Antitrust. Just got a call today from an AUSA with the Middle Dis. of PA. I'm guessing they are still interviewing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Earlier this week got a call for an interview. No status change, no email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks for the update -- would you mind saying which component?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 pm

ATR DC

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:20 pm

I accepted BOP SLIP offer back in early October. Claimed vet preference unranked transfered from T4 to state T2 3.2 GPA no journal was also interviewed by tax div but never heard back

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:44 pm

I received offer for OCIJ last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ATR DC

Me too. Are you going to split the summer or do the full summer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received offer for OCIJ last week.


Do you mind saying which location? And/or do you for some reason have any information as to whether each immigration court calls their own SLIP interns or if there is a centralized person calling for all locations? Lastly, did you interview or just get an offer without an interview? Thanks and sorry for all of the questions. I'm wondering if I should give up hope!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:42 pm

OSG just sent out their "thanks, but no thanks" email. Guess that frees up my summer plans.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received offer for OCIJ last week.


Do you mind saying which location? And/or do you for some reason have any information as to whether each immigration court calls their own SLIP interns or if there is a centralized person calling for all locations? Lastly, did you interview or just get an offer without an interview? Thanks and sorry for all of the questions. I'm wondering if I should give up hope!


I got offer in Northeastern U.S. I believe each immigration court calls their own SLIP interns. I got the offer without an interview; OCIJ hires interns for SLIP without interviewing.

FYI too, my status changed to "Selected as finalist" before I received my offer. Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received offer for OCIJ last week.


Do you mind saying which location? And/or do you for some reason have any information as to whether each immigration court calls their own SLIP interns or if there is a centralized person calling for all locations? Lastly, did you interview or just get an offer without an interview? Thanks and sorry for all of the questions. I'm wondering if I should give up hope!


I got offer in Northeastern U.S. I believe each immigration court calls their own SLIP interns. I got the offer without an interview; OCIJ hires interns for SLIP without interviewing.

FYI too, my status changed to "Selected as finalist" before I received my offer. Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions.


Thank you for your prompt response! My status has been "Selected as finalist" for a few weeks but I haven't heard a peep. Thank you again for the information and congratulations on the offer!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:49 pm

I accepted an offer for the EOIR OCIJ at an office on the west coast this past Monday. Good luck to those still waiting! They seem to still be offering positions. Thanks to those here who provided me with information.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Anyone know anything about USAO Wyoming interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer for the EOIR OCIJ at an office on the west coast this past Monday. Good luck to those still waiting! They seem to still be offering positions. Thanks to those here who provided me with information.

Is there a difference between accepting a position at EOIR OCIJ through SLIP and applying separately through a job posting as a summer 2L intern, i.e. a posting on a school's symplicity website?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer for the EOIR OCIJ at an office on the west coast this past Monday. Good luck to those still waiting! They seem to still be offering positions. Thanks to those here who provided me with information.

Is there a difference between accepting a position at EOIR OCIJ through SLIP and applying separately through a job posting as a summer 2L intern, i.e. a posting on a school's symplicity website?

Yes, I think so - SLIP has a specific application process and deadlines (all past now). However, DOJ also has internship positions distinct from SLIP (VIP? voluntary internship program? something like that). The biggest difference (as I understand it) is probably that SLIP is paid and the other internships are not. (Also, SLIP is only for the summer - you can do the other internships year-round.)

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby adonai » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Anyone else still at "application referred to components" like I am? lol...

The feds have always been very bad at giving rejections.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about USAO Wyoming interview?


Yes. I interviewed with them in early October and received an offer two days later. I turned them down after I accepted with the Antitrust Division. It was a fun interview. Both the US Attorney and his First Assistant are vets, so we mostly shared stories from the military. They didn't seem to mind that I was a female military officer even though they're 'Nam era guys. I think it helped that I speak the lingo. ;)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 11:04 am

Question: if you get an offer for DoJ SLIP (specifically ATR) for your 2L summer, can this translate into an offer for employment post-LS? if so, how?
(is there a separate process?)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question: if you get an offer for DoJ SLIP (specifically ATR) for your 2L summer, can this translate into an offer for employment post-LS? if so, how?
(is there a separate process?)

Not sure whether ATR has a unique process; in theory, working as a SLIP intern makes you eligible to receive a "funnel" offer:
The Department permits components to issue offers for permanent employment following law school graduation to interns hired under the SLIP through a “funnel offer” directly into the Attorney General’s Honors Program for the following year. Unlike the practice in private law firms, funnel offers are issued sparingly to a relatively small number of SLIP participants. Interns working at the Department through student programs other than the formal SLIP are not eligible for funnel offers.

Components may, at their discretion, issue funnel offers to SLIP participants at the end of the summer with a response deadline of November 1st. SLIP participants who receive a funnel offer and intend to accept it must still apply to the Attorney General’s Honors Program.

If you have already received a funnel offer at the time you complete your Honors Program application, you must list that component as an employment preference on your application. If you were an intern hired through the Summer Law Intern Program who has not received a funnel offer by the Honors Program application deadline, but think that you may receive a funnel offer, we strongly recommend you list the component as an employment preference. You may list other components as employment preferences also. If you receive a funnel offer, you must respond by November 1st, even if you were selected for an Honors Program interview by another component. The Department will not automatically extend the decision deadline on the funnel offer. If you elect to continue through the interview process, there is no guarantee that you will receive an offer from the component(s) that selected you for an interview or a second offer from the component that issued the funnel offer. If you accept a funnel offer, you will no longer be eligible to interview with any other component.

I don't know how frequently this actually happens, but it's a possibility.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 1:14 pm

^^^^ thank you.

To all those that accepted DoJ SLIP ATR this summer (or in previous years), can you share your credentials? LS? WE? do you have econ degree? etc...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273425
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^^^ thank you.

To all those that accepted DoJ SLIP ATR this summer (or in previous years), can you share your credentials? LS? WE? do you have econ degree? etc...

DCNG, 3 years of WE but nothing antitrust-related. I have a business degree but not econ or finance. However, I have work experience, an MA, and a previous internship directly related to my section (but not antitrust), if that makes any sense.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.